RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
If you are not an EAA member and registered for the Oshkosh365.org web site, you may need to create a FREE account after you become an EAA member.

As of right now, "Falcon" leading the 37-Ship Formation on the Taxiway at AirVenture is in 2nd place to becoming the September 2009 "Sport Aviation" Cover photo.

If you would like to see Falcon leading the 37-ship taxi as the cover of "Sport Aviation", go to the following web site and vote.

http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_Dis...?id=1235&boardid=147&forumid=175&topicid=2708

3817873969_61703b611a.jpg

If you are not an EAA member and registered for the Oshkosh365.org web site, you may need to create a FREE account after you become an EAA member.

As of right now, "Falcon" leading the 37-Ship Formation on the Taxiway at AirVenture is in 2nd place to becoming the September 2009 "Sport Aviation" Cover photo.

If you would like to see Falcon leading the 37-ship taxi as the cover of "Sport Aviation", go to the following web site and vote.

http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_Dis...?id=1235&boardid=147&forumid=175&topicid=2708

3817873969_61703b611a.jpg

Well, thanks to Gary (Condor) Sobek getting the word out to join Oshkosh365 and vote for the three choices for the Sport Aviation Front Cover, the RVs Taxiing WON by a large margin and will be on the September Front Cover. Now to see if they will follow up and provide and story with pics of the 37-ship inside the magazine.

There were some people who participated in the vote expressing somewhat of a disdain for allegedly seeing RV's everywhere. Now where would they get such an idea? ;) :)

rm4qq8.jpg

Let's see...out of three choices we have:

1) CERTIFIED Extra 300's
2) CERTIFIED A-380
3) EXPERIMENTAL RV's....

I wonder why they continuously forget what the first letter in EAA stands for?

I agree the RV pic is the best of the three, but certainly there had to be some good pics of other home-builts to choose from at the entire show? There was a fantastic Pitts 12 built by Jim Hancock, Rick's Rocket, and a whole plethora of other really, really nice birds (some WWI recreations with Rotec's on them, a Titan mustang, a really nice Bearhawk, Skybolt, etc..). I guess I'm saying I'm just a wee bit disappointed that again EAA somehow thinks that 66% of the cover choices are not EXPERIMENTAL airplanes?!?!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I will openly admit that I fully understand the sentiment that a lot of the people who posted on the EAA forum...that EAA has grown far beyond just experimental aircraft. Because of this I can fully understand their interest in having something other than RV's on the cover.
The one thing that wasn't ever mentioned was that with all of the diversity, many of the special interest groups have their own magazine within the organization.
So...put the photo of the extras on the IAC mag. cover.
Put a war bird on the war birds mag. cover.
Doesn't the antique/classic division have there own issue? Put one on their cover.
And the ultralight/light plane guys have the experimenter... put an ultralight on their cover.

That is why I voted to put the RV photo on the EAA Sport Aviation cover.

You're way behind the times! Experimenter is not a publication for ultralights/light planes. That's EAA's Sport Pilot magazine.

Experimenter is an electronic publication for homebuilders!

Check it out here:

http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/

I invite you to subscribe!!

Cheers!

Joe

-Blush-

I knew that:eek: I even have a copy (of Sport Pilot) sitting here.

I guess it is an indicator of how long I have been a member (the magazine name has changed a couple of times in the past 20 years or so).

My point is still the same...there are a lot of different covers for EAA to use to feature specific types.

I guess it is an indicator of how long I have been a member (the magazine name has changed a couple of times in the past 20 years or so).

Actually if you go back further than that, the original magazine of EAA was called "Experimenter"!

Actually if you go back further than that, the original magazine of EAA was called "Experimenter"!

I already know that history but didn't mention it because I can't claim to have been a member back that far (only about 1985).

My point is still the same...there are a lot of different covers for EAA to use to feature specific types.

Scott,

I appreciate what you're saying. Here's a different viewpoint for you to consider...

All the different "specialty" magazines are mostly available through the EAA divisions, all of which are additional cost to the individual. EAA Sport Aviation is the "Flagship" magazine for all the EAA membership. Many members only get this magazine. Thus the content of Sport Aviation needs to have "something for everyone" over the broad spectrum of EAA membership. This would include the cover picture.

I've been a member of EAA for over 30 years. I was originally introduced to EAA by a member who was around from the very beginning (his member number was 158). He was building a Pitts Special, and he encouraged me to think about building something. However, he also introduced me to all the facets of EAA - aerobatics, antique/vintage aircraft, etc. Even back then EAA was much more than just a homebuilder's organization.

The cover pictures on Sport Aviation have always covered the broad spectrum of EAA members' interests. There have always been pictures of other than homebuilts on the cover. Vintage, Warbird, Aerobatic planes and ultralights have all been featured on Sport Aviation's cover. And even though I'm primarily a homebuilder I am also involved in other facets of aviation and I like to see that stuff covered in Sport Aviation, including on the cover.

Just food for thought! As always, your mileage may vary!

Cheers!

Joe

Sport Aviation Cover

It's too late to argue about this guys! The September cover has been selected and the RV's got the vote! So there!
Did you really want a freakin' Airbus on your EAA cover? Why don't we just start putting warbirds up there every month?
Wow! I needed something to vent about this morning, I fell much better! :D

I gotta say, though, that the first picture was superb! Maybe next year the EAA will stage two or three colorful RVs climbing out like that ... with the Scarebus and some warbirds in the background ... :D

EAA Cover

I had lunch with Stu at the Houston Builder's event at the Hobby Air Terminal Museum last Saturday and let him know the RV cover was way out in front of the voting. He was pleased!
Congrats to all the guys, and gal(s), that took part in the amazing flyover this year. Ya did great! :D

I gotta say, though, that the first picture was superb! Maybe next year the EAA will stage two or three colorful RVs climbing out like that ... with the Scarebus and some warbirds in the background ... :D

That photo was nice, but I'm 99.9999% sure that it was a photoshop job. They could have put any airplane over the north 40 like that.

Scott,

I appreciate what you're saying. Here's a different viewpoint for you to consider...

...Thus the content of Sport Aviation needs to have "something for everyone" over the broad spectrum of EAA membership. This would include the cover picture...

...The cover pictures on Sport Aviation have always covered the broad spectrum of EAA members' interests. There have always been pictures of other than homebuilts on the cover...

Joe,

We've interacted a few times before, and while I respect and understand your position, I disagree. I'll further state that I have had much interaction with some former editors of the magazine concerning the content and received the same "party line". So after many years as a member, and literally growing up as an ?EAA brat? (my Dad started the chapter in my hometown in the 60?s), I dropped my membership a few years ago. I feel that in EAA?s quest to please everyone, they have essentially abandoned the ?hardcore? homebuilders who like to experiment, design, cut, weld, fabricate, machine, and scrounge for parts on our projects. Simply put, the EAA stopped meeting my requirements as a source of information some time ago, so I left.

So yes, a homebuilt is the ONLY choice for the cover?