marv1121

Well Known Member
I just purchased an RV-4 and it has vortex generators on the wings. It flies just fine, nice gentle stall, goes fast and all that. My question is why in the world put them on this airplane. I have no reference of flight before and after they were installed and was wondering if anyone else has installed these and what difference did they make to your airplane. Yes, I know what they are supposed to do but in actual practice, did they make a difference on your airplane ? Did you lose any noticeable top speed in exchange for that 4 or 5 mph lower stall speed ? Any info would be much appreciated. [email protected] :D

The people i've talked to who installed them say the only real benefit is if you're practising ACM with your ex-air-force buddies and need an "edge" to let you turn inside them. :)

Apart from that, while they may give you some margin on your stall speed, I don't think anyone who flies an RV-4 without them would honestly say "you know, I could really use another 5mph when landing..."

I have had my RV-4 for a couple of weeks now and done a little flight testing. I am not having any trouble at all keeping up with all the rest of the RV's I am flying with so there does not seem to be any noticeable speed penalty in everyday operations with my vortex generators. I have done some stalls and it breaks at 50 mph indicated with no flaps down. Did some short field practice and it gets off the ground very quickly and climbs at an incredible angle. I will never need this kind of performance in the real world unless I land in a parking lot. Guess the vortex generators will stay on the plane, I see no reason to remove them even though I see no reason to have put them on in the first place.

They "ugly-up" the airplane and the first time you wash it, you'll be cursing as the wash rag hangs up so often :) Stall speed is normally slow, so yes, you don't need them.

Best,