rwarre

Well Known Member
Trying to figure if my Archer wingtip antenna is picking anything up. I have a Garmin 430w but when I switch from gps to vor mode my track doesn't change. Not sure if I know how to set up the Garmin to track to a vor. What am I missing?

Do you have an external indicator in your system? When you switch to VOR, you should see something happen with the CDI if you twirl the knob around - and the TO/FROM should change as well. This would be the quickest way to tell if you're getting anything on the VOR receiver.

Assuming your setup includes a remote indicator...if you do not get any needle deflection in either GPS or VOR mode, the problem could be as simple as a poor pin connection at the back of the radio stack. Try removing the 430 and sliding it back in. Short of that, even applying a slight side load on the installed 430 may be enough to observe the VOR needle coming to life if a poor pin connection is the problem. Happened to me.

Needle does not deflect in the GPS mode unless you are off course. If in the GPS mode and you want the CDI to work like a VOR indicator you must press the OBS button on the bottom. You then can rotate the CDI OBS heading and get needle deflection while tuning the OBS heading.
For VOR you must of course have the VOR frequency set up in the receiver...then press CDI button on the 430. The CDI head if it is a 106A will then go from GPS mode to VLOC mode and CDI should work for a VOR track.
Also can you see if you are receiving the VOR station by turning up the volume of the VOR receiver and see if you get station code?:eek:
Yes I have a new to me 430 and just going through getting it to work ....it does but my brain is still a little slow.
Dave (Swift driver)

Trying to figure if my Archer wingtip antenna is picking anything up. I have a Garmin 430w but when I switch from gps to vor mode my track doesn't change. Not sure if I know how to set up the Garmin to track to a vor. What am I missing?

This may be archaic information, but you can also listen to the VOR signal to be sure you are receiving it. The VOR continuously transmits its morse code identifier. Flight service can also talk to you over many VORs, in case your XM weather goes tango uniform. You can't transmit on VOR frequencies, but the transmit freqs are listed on the box identifying the VOR (122.1 IIRC).

The SL30 automatically decodes the morse signal, and displays the identifier, but in the days of iron men and wood ships, we actually listened to verify that we had the correct VOR.

Now I feel old.