yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
During engine preflight run-up at 4000 rpm, the voltmeter shows 13.6- 13.7 volts (well above the 12.5 minimum). However, that is just on the line between the yellow and green segments of my Dynon. AMPmeter show +1 to +6 varying. Is this voltage what I should be seeing? If so, should the Dynon be adjusted to lower the bottom of the green segment? To what?

Thanks again

Wayne 143WM

Van's round volt gauge has the green between 13 & 15 volts.
When my digital gauge is showing 14.2, my Garmin 696 will be around 13.9 volts.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Wayne:

I am seeing exactly the same voltage on mine during flight- just on the lower end of the green. It does not seem to cause any issues however.

Walt:

Everything on the RV-12 is different-generator rather than alternator, Rotax voltage regulator, etc. Not sure that the voltages typically observed for other models apply.

Interested to hear what others are seeing in their RV-12's.

Jeff

Jeff,

You are absolutely on the mark. In fact we do not have any ordinary generator...we have an integrated generator that produces alternating current. The net effect is the same as a generator...you don't make any electricity until you push those RPM's fast enough (2000 range). A normal alternator would have a belt with a smaller pulley attached to keep that electric motor alive even at lower RPM. Rotax does sell one but I seriously doubt if would fit under our existing cowling set-up. The only time I have a problem is if I land with all my lights on and forget to keep the power up to at least 2000. That said, the system provides all the juice I need and has for over 160 hours now.

Last edited:
Wayne:
Walt:

Everything on the RV-12 is different-generator rather than alternator, Rotax voltage regulator, etc. Not sure that the voltages typically observed for other models apply.

Interested to hear what others are seeing in their RV-12's.

Jeff

What battery does the 12 have? The Odyssey batteries need about 14.5 to get a full charge which is what the typical RV has so that was an assumption on my part (perhaps an incorrect one).

Ideal voltages

The RV-12 has an Odyssey battery. The ideal voltage is 14.2 for charging 12v lead-acid batteries. Once charged, 13.2 volts will maintain the battery in charged state. Since Wayne is seeing 13.7 volts at 4000 RPM, the voltage might go up to 14.2 at cruise RPM.
The Schumacher WM-1562A charger sold by Wal-Mart for $20 will charge and maintain the battery while on the ground.
Joe

This morning

While flying early this morning, mine was jumping from 13.7 to 13.8. I had been flying for a while, so not sure what it is right away. That is where it normally is.

170.2 hours.

John Bender

Thanks guys

Sure makes me feel better-- I'll try to remember to check it at cruise (if these *&^*&^& winds ever die down) and see if I can change the scale to put 13.6 in the green.

Wayne 143WM

Sure makes me feel better-- I'll try to remember to check it at cruise (if these *&^*&^& winds ever die down) and see if I can change the scale to put 13.6 in the green.

Wayne 143WM

I doubt if you can change any of the scales due to locked settings.

Tony

Yes you can change that Scale

Au contraire, Yes you can change that green arc on the Volt meter cause I did it.
John
RV12 N1212K

Au contraire, Yes you can change that green arc on the Volt meter cause I did it.
John
RV12 N1212K

Ditto. John is right. I lowered mine to 12. I have 165 hours now and it sits right on 13.7 99% of the time. It's just when I land with all the lights on it drops below 13 until I push the power back up. And now I know how to spell "au contraire". Thanks John!