rv6builder

Well Known Member
Does anyone out there have experience using an automotive voltage regulator on their RV? I'm using a Cessna (Ford) alternator that came with my engine. If anyone has any recommendations for a voltage regulator, preferrably solid-state, please let me know!

Alex

Does anyone out there have experience using an automotive voltage regulator on their RV? I'm using a Cessna (Ford) alternator that came with my engine. If anyone has any recommendations for a voltage regulator, preferrably solid-state, please let me know!

Alex

I use one. a mid-70's ford model will give you a cross-reference. I used a standard automotive brand unit. It is solid state (I think they all are) and was $25 from Amazon.

Larry

Square ford type unit. Available at any auto store in America for about $20. Lots cheaper than a motel and fedex when it quits in podunk.

Yep, you might not be able to find the VR166 number, but 1975 Ford LTD will work every time. :)

How to wire it:

Alternator_Test_1.jpg

Last edited:
Voltage regulator

Why not go with a quality voltage regulator that you can adjust the voltage output? I have a B&C one and I really don't want to rely on an auto store VR when flying IFR. Sure it's more money but what are you worth??

It's a quiet linear regulator & has overvoltage protection. Here's my choice:

http://www.bandc.aero/alternatorcontrollerregulator14vhomebuilt.aspx

If you don't want to shell out the $$ for a new one then advertise here on the forum. I'll bet someone out there has an extra one.

Thanks for the wiring info Sam, that'll be a big help. Oh, and I sure like your website, its been a great help if something on my -6 project hasn't made sense!

Alex

No. And no. And fuses don't protect from overvoltage, they protect from overcurrent.

The B&C regulators are the only ones I'd trust for built-in OV protection. But it's relatively simple to add external OV protection to either the Ford style regulator shown, or to an internally regulated alternator.