rvator_md

I decided to pull my 60A alternator to have it bench tested because I've been having some voltage fluctuations between 12.5 and 13.9. Imagine my surprise when I pulled the boot back on the output terminal of the alternator and found the insulation around the ring terminal burnt and the wire badly corroded. Corroded enough to allow me to pull the wire from the terminal end.

Now I know why the voltage was wandering. I checked the other connections and this is the only one that was corroded.

I have 575 hrs on the airplane and this is the first problem with my electrical system. This original connection was only crimped, but the repair will be crimped and soldered.

We had the same problem on a 9A with about 60 hrs. Was pulling the alternator off to have it checked, when I noticed arching marks in the terminal connection. The wire just pulled out.

My 6A's terminals are crimped and silver-soldered.

L.Adamson

Soldering can focus vibration in the wire where the solder stops and it will lead to the wire breaking. It's better not to use solder in a high vibration environment. Try to secure the wire better and use a good quality crimper & strain relief.

Soldering can focus vibration in the wire where the solder stops and it will lead to the wire breaking. It's better not to use solder in a high vibration environment. Try to secure the wire better and use a good quality crimper & strain relief.

It depends how well the wire is restrained, and how far the solder is allowed to flow into the wire strands. I prefer my method.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I agree with crimping and silver soldering these large connections. I've always done it that way on my airplanes. Do take the time to properly clean the solder flux residue off, and properly secure the cable, and it will last.

Vic