Saville

Well Known Member
Hi all,

1) The Van's web site for the RV-4 doesn't seem to mention aerobatic weight limits like the RV-8 page does. Does this mean that the -4 aerobatic weight = Gross Weight = 1500?

2) Are the top speeds listed in the lerformance section also Vne Speeds? If not what is Vne for the -4?

3) What is Va for the -4?

Thanks

Ops Limits and Maneuvering Speed

Gregg,

I've put the Van's recommended limits in the transition training manual (Part 3). There is also an extensive discussion of maneuvering speed, which isn't a fixed value, as well as how to compute Va for your airplane via flight test. There is also discussion regarding Vne (which is not an IAS) as well. A link is available on the safety page. As a rule of thumb, 4G's will keep you honest regarding limits whether applied symmetrically (straight pull) or asymmetrically (rolling pull) if you operate within designer's weight and balance limits and the airplane has been properly constructed and maintained IAW the plans. Both Va and Vne can be misunderstood and merit a bit of study to understand what they mean and how to apply them in real life--if you are already aware, than please disregard!

The weight and balance limits for the -4 may be found on Van's web site on the worksheets provided for that purpose. Maximum recommended gross weight is 1375 lbs. and the aft CG limit is 27.5% chord for aerobatic flight. The positive symmetric G limit at or below this weight is 6.0. Van's does not specify asymmetric G limits, however FAR 23 certification requirements specify an asymmetric limit of at least 66% (i.e., 3.96G's), so this is where the 4G rule of thumb comes from. Since Van's types are all-metal, they are susceptible to fatigue damage from over-stress, but due to their excellent handling characteristics, 3-4 G's is generally plenty for aerobatic work. If you operate at weights above design specifications, you are your own engineer and test pilot (which, in EAB is allowable if that is your intent and IAW the Operating Limitations).

Vne for the -4 is 210 MPH. Vno is 180 MPH.

If you don't already have a copy, the preview plans have a builder's manual with quite a bit of good information that can be helpful as well.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
The recommended loading limits for the RV-4 are on the web site, but you need to look in the Weight and Balance section of the downloads area: http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/RV4wb.pdf

As an aside, I'm curious why the RV-4 has a lower recommended gross weight than the RV-6 (1500lb vs 1600lb) although they have the same aerobatic gross weight. Possibly they are being conservative to avoid loading aft of the CG limit which is more hazardous than just exceeding the gross weight.

RV-4s with heavier engine/prop combos seem to manage fine with higher gross weights.

I would treat the CG position recommendations as absolute limits.