pierre smith

Well Known Member
I'm crazy about my new vizion autopilot but haven't done many approaches with it yet.

If you fly a missed approach, will it level off and fly the holding pattern automatically, or do you have to re-enter that altitude? The manual doesn't say.

Best,

Last edited:
I'm crazy about my new vizion autopilot but haven't done many approaches with it yet.

If you fly a missed approach, will it level off and fly the holding pattern automatically, or do you have to re-enter that altitude? The manual doesn't say.

Best,

Depends, usually that is control by your EFIS and/or GPS.

Did you enter a flight plan and activate the approach on the GPS? Did you set a minimum altitude on your EFIS? Is the holding pattern in the GPS database (I've found some that are missing)?

The AP will do whatever its told. Your EFIS vendor should have documentation on how to setup the approach and potential missed approach.

I know how to do this with a AFS 4500s and a GTN650, but the buttonology will be different with different products and vendors.

Bob, my 430W drives the autopilot. It also has missed approach info in its database...I think. I have an older D-120 as an EFIS and it does not control my autopilot.

Best,

Bob, my 430W drives the autopilot. It also has missed approach info in its database...I think. I have an older D-120 as an EFIS and it does not control my autopilot.

Best,

If the 430W is attached via ARNIC, the autopilot will do whatever the GPS tells it. If it's attached via RS-232, then you may not have all functions available. I seem to recall that vertical control was only transmitted over the ARNIC line, but my memory may not be correct.

Bob, I just spoke with Lucas at Trutrak and he said that when you press the "Alt" button, it will start a default 500 FPM climb and hold the heading laterally. If you push the "Suspend" button on the 430W it will enter the holding pattern. To do the hold at published altitude, you need to reset your altitude on the unit during the climb and then it will hold at the correct altitude, in the holding pattern.

Best,

The 430W database does not have any altitude information (which is why you still need a chart to fly approaches). Somewhere you need to manually enter the altitude.
I usually use my HX to drive a Trio Pro. The HX has a softkey menu option for entering the missed approach altitude (data can be entered at any time during the flight).

I'm glad that you got the buttonology worked out with Lucas.

I'm working on my IPC at the moment. I didn't fly IFR at all during the build. I'm starting to become really spoiled at the features and functions on my EFIS that reduces workload. It sure beats what I had in my Cherokee!