johnbright

Well Known Member
Friend
Squaring aluminum tubing spacers with a vixen file and drill press.

Somewhat tedious but controllable because the file loads up every 0.002".

215 RPM, the slowest speed of my drill press.

Attachments

• TimePhoto_20201017_234210.jpg
    TimePhoto_20201017_234210.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 353
drill and scotchbrite wheel

I did something similar by spinning the tube in a hand drill and turning on the scotchbrite wheel - probably not quite as square as your idea, but pretty square.

I’ve done something similar, too. First I use a tube cutter, then I finish up by putting the tube in the drill press with a sanding block in place of the vixen file.

If you have a cross vice for the drill press, you can clamp up a lathe tool and use it like in a lathe to cut the end of the tube to the correct dimension.

I’ve also chucked a bushing in the drill press and dressed the end on some sandpaper. Easy to square it up, take off a thousandth or two, etc.

I’ve also chucked a bushing in the drill press and dressed the end on some sandpaper. Easy to square it up, take off a thousandth or two, etc.

This approach works well and how I did it before the lathe.

I did something similar by spinning the tube in a hand drill and turning on the scotchbrite wheel - probably not quite as square as your idea, but pretty square.

+1, or alternately using a disk sander. Fast and easy way to get them the right length as well.