n5lp

fugio ergo sum
IMG_1958.jpg

RV folks dropped in to Carlsbad this afternoon for cheap fuel and to lay low while weather bands move through.

There followed considerable discussion on varied topics such as RV flying, RV building, RV people, RV fly-ins, RV politics, airplane designers, NASA, aviation magazines, literature, writing, authors, basketball, C-17 flights into Antarctica, womens's hairstyles and many other such topics.

I believe the illustrious two are on to rain and snow buried Southern California, tomorrow.

I've been on a C-17 flight OUT of Antarctica... does that buy me a ticket to the conversation? :D
Yes, I'm interested. The context is that I just got e-mailed photos of a friend's son who did fly into McMurdo hauling helicopters and such. Maybe you were on the flight out.

(Totally RV unrelated)
In 2006 we helped the NY Air National Guard with some radar work. Had an RNZAF C130 ride down (8 hours of fun) and then a nice smooth C17 ride back a couple of weeks later. In-between was all kinds of fun including Twin Otter flights around McMurdo. The group went back in 2009 but I have since changed organizations so I didn't get to go. I'll see if I can dig up some photos, maybe tomorrow.

Oct 2009...My son piloted this flight before he moved on to predators...

o4B.jpg

Last edited:
I believe

the incriminating photo kind of busts Louise.:rolleyes:

Seems in a post on another thread she was all, "If we're to take the RV-8 to Big Bear, then Paul is riding in the back! Both ways!". :D

I guess I know that I've been on this site long enough now because I actually recognized them!

U-turn?

For the fun of it, I was tracking them on FlightAware this morning, and either they have turned around or FlightAware has gone on the blink. Anybody get a good bearing on them?

For the fun of it, I was tracking them on FlightAware this morning, and either they have turned around or FlightAware has gone on the blink. Anybody get a good bearing on them?
At last report they were waiting out weather in Deming, NM.

I'd have to go back and look at Flightaware to see what it shows, but we are currently sitting in Carlsbad (CALIFORNIA!) after a nice day's flying. We originally filed out of Carlsbad this morning to get above a low layer that persisted almost until El Paso. The tops were at 6,000, and we had a magnificent view of El Capitan standing proud above the white. We filed for Casa Grande, but as we approached Demning, I heard some folks up ahead talking with Center about rime icing at 9,000. Minimum altitude for our route was 10, and there was precip beyond Demning, so we elected to set down, stretching our legs, and check the weather.

We enjoyed he company of a couple in their RV-9 from Seguin who was headed west and overnighted in Demning the previous day. They had tried to go west through the rain, but turned around just before we got there from the east. Watching the weather, it was obvious we were seeing the last of the precip, and after about an hour, there were lots of breaks to the west, so we launched VFR for Casa Grande along I-10. By the time we reached Mount Graham, we were on top of scattered clouds at 10,500, and had a smooth ride to KCGZ.

Although we could have gotten all the way to Palomar from Demning, I elected to stop and file IFR so that when we got to the coast, we'd have no trouble sliding in, as KCRQ was calling 4800 Overcast. Extra fuel doesn't hurt either. the ride was VFR under an IFR flight plan all the way to the Julian VOR, where we began a descent into a nice layer of tops about 6,000, lining up for the ILS. Boy, I like Synthetic Vision when sliding down a mountainside in the clouds - sure, you just fly the procedure, but it sure is nice to have a confirmation that it's all workign right, and you're safely above the terrain!

We broke out on a four mile final for runway 24, number 1 for landing, and a nice end to two days of flying, four legs IFR, one VFR. Oh, me in the front seat? Well, we took the Valkyrie because Louise is going to have to head back early for a work assignment, so she'll be taking SWA home. I might have to return IFR to make it back on time. And we have a strict rule in our house - if you're not REALLY CURRENT on the avionics in the airplane, you don't fly IFR with it. I haven't flown an approach with Mikey's setup for quite awhile, and Louise has not had the time to train with the GRT to an instrument level of proficiency. Safety first, cold toes second....

Pictures? Full trip report? Maybe after we get through the holidays with the family!

I'd have to go back and look at Flightaware to see what it shows, but we are currently sitting in Carlsbad (CALIFORNIA!) ...

Since I am responsible for any RV flight I know about out of CNM I also was keeping an eye on you guys on Flight Aware. It was pretty confusing but I have learned a few things about how it works. I don't think you can go back and see what happened.

Everything was fine until you were in the vicinity of Deming. Somewhere around there the site started showing you flying east and for a while I thought maybe you were going back to Las Cruces or El Paso. As you were flying through the el maximo restricted areas north of El Paso I decided I was looking at false information. I suspect that radar contact was lost around Deming as you were flying east and maybe after you had cancelled IFR and then the system just went into a drift mode.

When your IFR flight plan got into the system from Casa Grande to Palomar everything was rosy again and it showed you from Casa Grande to touchdown on the Carlsbad to Carlsbad flight and my solemn responsibilities were over.

Wow, that's a bit spooky. We certainly didn't bust any Restricted areas, particularly those I'm so familiar with.

Yep, I relented to having Paul fly the -8 for several reasons that pupped up since my earlier post. The weather made taking the more capable IFR airplane prudent and, as Paul said, I'm not yet proficient at flying IFR in the Val. Safety first. And, I'm headed back out to the oil spill directly from So Cal so Paul's solo home should be in the plane he finds most comfortable. I do, however, hope to fly the leg into Big Bear.

That said, I sure would have preferred a side-by-side with maximum capable avionics over sitting there in the back, staring at Paul's head. :(

After the last couple of days with family celebrating Christmas....

I did forget that one and also the far more impressive secret mod you guys made to get a 40 POUND INCREASE in payload. Wow!

....maybe that should be amended to a 35 pound increase in payload. :eek: