SteelMike

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I have about half a day to burn in the Portland area on an upcoming business trip. Is it possible to visit Vans? Is there anything to see there/will they show you around? I'd like to see the place and am curious as to what they do there... Also, I've still never flown in an RV even though I'm building one, do they do that there?

M

YES but...

Yes to all your questions...You can visit Van's,They will give You a tour, and They will give You a ride-:rolleyes:- the weather here is acting like the middle of October, not August. Rain(of course) and LOTS of wind.....
I would recommend you call Van's before heading over to ask if a flight is possible...You can always take the tour rain or shine...

True statement, I did something very much like that. I had a full free day and flew into Portland from LA, drove down to the factory and visited with Ken for a couple hours, looking at the factory floor (watching them form the various metal parts, prepunch sheets, etc), looked closely at some of the demonstrators in the hangars, and finally (killing time waiting for the weather to clear) took the 9A up for about a half-hour. Very interesting stuff.

Wrote a check for a tail kit before I left - caution is advised! :eek:

I was told to go early...

Yup... can be done as said previous. I'm flying to Washington state in a week... and the lovely wife scheduled a detour to Portland just so we could drive down to Van's. :D (What a wife!!) In talking to the factory... you need to be there in the AM or right after lunch. I believe that they need to have all tours/demo's done by 3 PM... But I'll double check the time when I get to work.
DJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll just give them a call and see what is possible. I probably won't be able to get down there much earlier than 9:30-10am, so hopefully they'll still take me..
m

Call first

I did the tour and the ride - beautiful day for both. Almost missed the tour because of the itme I arrived, the tour had already started but only about 5 minutes. Very informative. Take a good camera for pictures.

I also recommend the Air Museum in Tillamook. Huge blimp hangar and all manner of antique and military aircraft. The museum is an old VERY HUGE blimp hangar. If you got time.

Friday may be an "off-day" at Van's

I toured Van's in 2005 and wished I had called ahead of time. Back then they worked four 10-hour days in the factory. My wife and I did get a good tour, but it would have been better if the machinery had been running.
My advice is what others have said...Call Ahead!

Don

True statement, I did something very much like that. I had a full free day and flew into Portland from LA, drove down to the factory and visited with Ken for a couple hours, looking at the factory floor (watching them form the various metal parts, prepunch sheets, etc), looked closely at some of the demonstrators in the hangars, and finally (killing time waiting for the weather to clear) took the 9A up for about a half-hour. Very interesting stuff.

Wrote a check for a tail kit before I left - caution is advised! :eek:

Pretty much a ditto here.

Only, a 10 instead of the 9.

The weather was lousy in the morning, so we went to McMinville to the museum-----excellent way to wait out the low clouds.

This from an earlier email exchange - forwarding as promised:

We will be very happy to have a visit on that day from you but you must arrive before 2:00 in the afternoon.... the same guys that give the tour also must do technical phone support and it starts at 3:30 ....
Tom
Back to work... :rolleyes:

DJ