Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
So when Paul said he was coming to Wichita, I knew I HAD to try and cross paths with him. Turns out, while I am sealing on my RH tank fuel cap flange, I get a call from Paul. Met at the restaurant here at Stearman Field, (1K1) and then went down to my place to check out the -4 progress. Check out this guy leaning on my wing and jig!
10yfjg7.jpg

Paul is one of those guys I've wanted to meet since I joined VAF in 2007. He was in my shop, and it was a good day. What a cool guy.

Gregg

What's That Hole?

Gregg -

I am curious as to the open space at the aft end of the outboard rib shown in the foreground of Paul's pic?

Thx

David Howe

I knew that was coming...

You mean all -4's don't have a big hole there? :)

In a word, that open space is a mistake. Long story short, I knocked the wing off the jig recently, while riveting on the outboard aileron mount. Outboard rib suffered compression failure at a flute. I removed all damage, (which was only the rib) and briefly considered a scab rib section. Look carefully on the shelves in the background (above the left wing) and you will see a brand new shiny outboard rib. I didn't like the scab rib I made, so just ordered a new one. Replacement is imminent.

Luckily, when the wing fell, the main spar hit me in the back of the head, therefore minimizing he impact of the tip strike.:rolleyes:

No...not nosy...

Had our roles been reversed, I would feel compelled to ask you the same question. :D

That hole is definitely getting fixed this week. The fact that Paul was there and didn't cringe at any of my work was a victory for me. I do the best I can, but perfection isn't attainable.

I really owe Gregg big time for connecting me up with an old friend there at Stearman. We were sitting and eating lunch in their idyllic airport restaurant, and he told me he worked for Lear. I asked if he happened to know an old friend of mine that I know went to work there, Sam Gemar. He says "sure - I work for him! And that is him in the Stearman going by the window right now!"

Sure enough - the afternoon ended up with me shooting landings from the front hole of the biplane with an old friend - how cool is that?

Thanks again for the hospitality Gregg - it was great to meet you! Now I am sitting in Oshkosh at the Hilton Garden Inn to do some local flying for a couple of days - I do get around. For those who have never been to OSH when the show isn't going....it's a bit weird!

... For those who have never been to OSH when the show isn't going....it's a bit weird!

I agree, Paul. Several years ago my son and I attended a weekend Sonex workshop at Wittman (KOSH) and we had 12 inches of snow on the ground! (It was January.)

The local folks acted like it was no big deal, but it was "different" for us since we had been there before in July. We even drove out where EAA has the floatplane flyin during the convention and there were ice fishermen set up out on the frozen lake. No, we didn't drive the rental car onto the lake, even though my son wanted to.

Have a great week. :)

For those who have never been to OSH when the show isn't going....it's a bit weird!

A guy I work with at Oshkosh during the fly-in tells the story of flying into KOSH for a convention/tradeshow being held in one of the display hangars. He told ground he wanted to taxi to the west ramp and they didn't know what that was.

It is very strange indeed! Just for kicks, a two years ago I took a friend over early in the April so I could show him what to expect flying the NOTAM Procedures when he visited the show for the first time later that year. Called approach from way out and asked to fly the Ripon / Fisk arrival. I guess we were not the only people to ask for this as they guided us through the entire track resulting in a T&G on 36 then flying the exit to the SE., like they do this all the time!