nedrose

Does anyone have any experience on changing the internal battery on a VM 1000. A friend has one in his 8. It been loosing memory and apparently this is a result of battery failure. When he installed it, there was no mention of having an internal battery, so the installation did not reflect an easy access. He has gotten two conflicting stories: the battery is accessed from the front, and the battery is accessed from the back. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated before we tackle this.

Ned Rose
42TD

Ned,
I changed mine some time ago but I can't remember its exact location. I can tell you this. With the cover removed I looked at the various chips taking note of the identification of each (part number), then looked in the Mouser catalogue until I found what was identified as "battery backup memory". The one I selected was not an exact replacement. I ordered one with a faster speed. Once pluged in it worked fine. The only word of caution is that the data stored in the old chip was lost (engine run history as well as TT run time). I doubt if I still have the Mouser invoice but with some staring at the insides of the DPU it is possible to find the correct chip. I does not look like a battery but more like a microprocessor chip.
Val K.
RV-8
N81VK

Ned,
Did a little checking. If you go to the Mouser site and search p/n 511-M48Z18-100PC1 I believe this will put you on the correct page for non-volatile rams. From the chart on that page there is a selection of various pin counts, density and speed. I am not sure which one I selected but the p/n's are very similar to the one used in the Vision DPU. I believe the only difference between the one I ordered and the actual one in the DPU was access time.
Cost is about $10. Forgive me if my memory (personal memory) is a bit hazy but hopefully this will put you on a track for success.
Val K.
RV-8
N81VK