KitfoxJoe

Hello
Tax question for all the Virginia pilots. Do you pay personal property tax (for your aircraft) to the county that you live in or the county where your aircraft is hangered? Thanks Joe

County

The County!
In fact, the counties sort of try to attract airplanes (personal property) by lowering the tax rate to get you to base there.
Louisa county has the lowest rate around to attract planes to their airport.

I recall an argument between Mr. Kluge (a rich man) and the County of Albemarle (CHO-Charlottesville). Mr Kluge owned a big jet and wanted to base it there but didn't want to pay the very high tax rate. He moved his plane to a low rate county and just called for his plane when he wanted to go somewhere. The argument brought the facts to light. The county wanted the plane there for the taxes and the FBO wanted the fuel business, etc. It has been awhile ago but I think they gave him a special rate. IIRC.

The counity where it's hangared. I live and have my plane hangared in Prince William county which has no property tax on aircraft (well they actually do but the millage is so low that IIIRC the cutoff for paying the tax is like $23M so for all intents and purposes the tax is zero).