SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
I just picked up a VIO-360A1A. I already have taken off the helicopter sump/gearcase with special mag drive, and oil pump. It has a Rapco fuel pump driven from the traditional Vacuum pump pad.
The basic engine looks like a parellel valve IO-360A1A, without the oil port to the front main bearing for a constant speed prop. It does have a hollow crank. The case boss for the aircraft dipstick is not bored.
It is a Narrow Deck Conical Mount engine. It's rated 188 HP @ 2900 RPM.
It has some very interesting oil lines that originate between the lifter bores on the case and terminate on the top of the heads, opposite the fuel injectors.
I presume these are to suppliment cooling. It also has a HUGE oil cooler.
A while ago I bought an O-290G that was taken off a T-18. This was an educational engine for my son and I, but now it seems to have many of the conversion parts I need, like accessory case, valve covers, some gears & shafts etc.
I'm going the Smokey Ray route, building the cheapest, lightest, bestest, fixed pitch engine I can. So far I'm finding everything is good in this 100 TSMOH enigne.
Does anyone have conversion knowledge, I didn't find anything in a forum search of VIO-360...
This engine might be going into my RV-8 if the rotary engine project doesn't pan out.
I have an IO-320 Twin Comanche horizontal rear inlet sump & inlet elbow, which can not be converted to front entry. Will it fit the airframe?

Last edited: