wirejock

Well Known Member
There is no Vinyl Wrap forum. Maybe it's time. Please no debate on vinyl vs paint. Plenty of threads discussing that already. Do a search. Vinyl is an option. This is about how to tackle the job.
I've documented the process and posted a page to my blog. If we get a new forum thread, I will post it there as well. So far the tail feathers are done. It's not anywhere near as much work as paint, but I have picked up a few tips and tools that really make the job easier.
I have quite a bit of scrap yellow if anyone wants to play. Its 3M 2080. I can send a 12" wide piece rolled up with no box pretty cheap. It probably will get creased but, it's free right? Donate to VAF.
20231205_120811.jpg

Forum

I agree with Larry. It is time to share tips, successes and failures.

My vinyl is reached the six year point and still doing quite well. My wings are polished but the leading edge is covered in vinyl. Of course that is where my QB wings started seeping through a rivet. I pulled the vinyl and there was absolutely no corrosion under the vinyl.

Last edited:
My wings are about 100% vinyl. I still struggle with fuel spillage on the wing tanks. At this time I have trimmed vinyl away about 2" diameter around fuel tank caps.

Anyone have any good ideas for a fuel resistant material I could put as protective overlay over the fuel tank opening?

My hangar neighbor has his Zenith vinyl wrapped and it still looks good five year after the initial wrap. He stores his in the hangar and it helps. I had asked and he said he had no problem with fuel spills. Another RV12 is also vinyl wrapped. Just like the Zenith, the vinyl covers up the dome head rivets very well.

I sold this RV-4 to a friend in Germany. He did a complete vinyl wrap and it turned out great. I plan on using a paint wrap hybrid on my RV-7 I’m building.

Attachments

• 98d74164-ba92-4825-960f-f6a4fdfd4f3e.jpeg
    98d74164-ba92-4825-960f-f6a4fdfd4f3e.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 265
Wrap rocks ... 300 hours and 2+ years, lives a pampered life in the hangar. No issues with fuel loosening around the cap, so you may have an install/heat cure/clean surface issue? Did you seal the edges of the opening?

The biggest problem I've had is with two rivet seeps on top of the tank. It makes a small blister. So I ended up going back and sealing it from the outside with Seal All and repairing the removed patch. Good to go. A thick paint layer prevents you from seeing those seeps :rolleyes:

Hard to beat $1500 for materials and some time with no solvent exposure except some IPA (not the beer).

Vinyl

Agree, Larry. Good thread/section idea.

Are your black HS tips paint or vinyl?
Any suggestions for tutorials for aircraft especially?

I didn't want to try and apply vinyl on curved surfaces so all tbe fiberglass on the airplane is painted.
At this time, I wrote up a "how I did it" and posted it to my blog. The tips and tools are listed.

But did you use primer?
No primer on the outside aluminum. It's alodined. The idea was to limit the weight gain.

Last edited:
Adding a few pics of my Rv9. Recently completed and just started flying. Mixture of Oracal and KPMF. My first time working with vinyl, the process is straight forward and most forgiving. The cowl, gear fairings, wheel pants and spinner are not wrap other then the trim.

Attachments

• 20230427_202653.jpg
    20230427_202653.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 20230427_202741.jpg
    20230427_202741.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: Pip
Training would be nice.

I, for one, would love to see someone put together a hands-on workshop class to teach rookies how to apply vinyl wrap to a homebuilt.

Steve Ashby

Where to buy?

I would love a vinyl section on the forum.
Looking for a good source to buy vinyl. Suggestions? I'm looking to use Avery vinyl for striping.

Last edited:
Vinyl

I would love a vinyl section on the forum.
Looking for a good source to buy vinyl. Suggestions? I'm looking to use Avery for striping.

Avery gets good reviews. I haven't used it so please update this thread.

Two big vendors are Fellers and Metro Restyling. Fellers customer service is really good. They took care of a huge mistake. They sent two full rolls of the wrong color! Rather embarrassing for them actually. Plus the color they sent was the highest demand so they were happy to get it back.

Both companies sell small pieces but Metro sells 3x5 and ultimately cheaper for a bunch of samples. Fellers was cheaper on full rolls plus free shipping.

I recommend narrowing the choices of colors across the different brands and buying samples. They look different in person. Some products have sample books, but you're paying to see colors you may never use.

Once you narrow the list, buy a 12x12 of each and really give them a good look. Apply some to a piece of aluminum. Call and ask about availability in the quantity you want. Several brands/colors are in such high demand, they can have long wait times. Basically anything red.

I've only applied 3M 2080 so I can't comment on other brands. I really like the 2080 because the clear film protects the vinyl till the job is done. It's pretty easy to apply. Far easier than painting, sanding, painting, sanding, cleaning, cutting, buffing, blah, blah. And no respirator!

Downside is life span. 2080 has a seven year warranty so I expect to peel it off at some point and put new clothes on her.

Downside is life span. 2080 has a seven year warranty so I expect to peel it off at some point and put new clothes on her.

Will it last near 7 years in the elements if you're always tied down (no hanger)? I live in the PNW so it doesn't get crazy hot (high 90s) but one to 2wks a year but it rains and freezes.

Warranty

Will it last near 7 years in the elements if you're always tied down (no hanger)? I live in the PNW so it doesn't get crazy hot (high 90s) but one to 2wks a year but it rains and freezes.

This is a totally unscientific test.
Back in 2017 I bought a 12x12 of matte white 3M 1080 to test longevivity, adhesion of the vinyl and corrosion on aluminum treated with various products.

All three have been outside since. Colorado sun, snow, sun zero temp and bouncing around in the driveway due to our high winds.
None of the parts show any sign of corrosion on exposed metal.

Today, as some are apparently interested, I brought them inside and cleaned off all the mud and dirt. Samples still look matte white just like when applied, although I didn't keep a control sample on a part out of the elements. That would have been more scientific. Adhesion is good to the edges. I have no concerns the vinyl would peel off in flight. It's really stuck.

I trimmed off a 1" section of each. The trim was not easy to remove. Possibly because I was just trying to peel a small area. I wouldn't want to leave my airplane out in the same environment. They did peel off, but any longer and they probably would be coming off in tiny pieces. Funny thing. The hardest to remove was on P60G2. The easiest was bare aluminum. It peeled nice and clean but did leave more adhesive that was very stubborn to remove with lacquer thinner. Again, it's totally unscientific. It's possible one surface was more exposed to sun.

I know the adhesive is sensitive to alcohol. I read it somewhere. I tested that way back as well because eventually, it's gotta come off. I put a piece on scrap and let it sit overnight. Then I scored the vinyl and sprayed on some alcohol. After a few minutes, it lifted off. In pieces of course, but the adhesive had dissolved. Maybe someone will invent a roller with tiny pins that penetrate just through the surface. Spray it down. Let it sit and peel. Most would come off pretty easy. Either way, it's far easier than stripping paint.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's the test currently. Now it goes back outside.

Left: Bare 2023-T3
Middle: Alodine
Right: P60G2

20231206_095551.jpg

I used to train folks on wrap installation as well as provided installation services. I've been certified for multiple aspects of installation by 3M and Avery--both wraps and paint protection. I've reluctantly worked with it for going on 20 years now.

I'd never wrap a plane. My personal opinion, but it's not the intended use for the material.

I appreciate they tests shown, but I don't think they accurately indicate the wear a true wrap on an active plane is subject to. When considering those aspects, a wrap subject to exposure year round has a lifespan of 2-3 years--again in my opinion. There are failure mitigation techniques and upkeep that can stretch that.

That said, many people find the results acceptable for their use, and are perfectly happy with their wrapped planes. Great for them: they saved a boatload of money!

If anyone wants an in-person tutorial: I'm semi retired form the training biz, but if you're in a sunny climate with a pool, I can be talked back into the game. :)

This is a totally unscientific test.
Back in 2017 I bought a 12x12 of matte white 3M 1080 to test longevivity, adhesion of the vinyl and corrosion on aluminum treated with various products.

All three have been outside since. Colorado sun, snow, sun zero temp and bouncing around in the driveway due to our high winds.
None of the parts show any sign of corrosion on exposed metal.

Nice job thinking ahead enough to do the test! Would love to see what the equivalent would be, in terms of ease to remove, on aluminum that was hangared--my biggest fear is leaving it on too long then having to remove tiny pieces from an entire plane! :eek: Curious how long hangaring gives you before that's likely to happen.

Removal

Nice job thinking ahead enough to do the test! Would love to see what the equivalent would be, in terms of ease to remove, on aluminum that was hangared--my biggest fear is leaving it on too long then having to remove tiny pieces from an entire plane! :eek: Curious how long hangaring gives you before that's likely to happen.

Guess I'll find out! :D I wouldn't go past five years. Look at it this way. A brand new paint job every five years.

I have one friend who loved it so much, he is re-wrapping. Hopefully I'll know more soon if he doesn't post. I don't know how long it has has been wrapped. A few years I think. Hangared.

That said, I'm not a subject matter expert. There are clearly industry experts on VAF with that experience. Maybe one will reply with airplane wrap and unwrap experience.
I'm just a dork learning and building as I go.

There is no Vinyl Wrap forum. Maybe it's time. Please no debate on vinyl vs paint. Plenty of threads discussing that already. Do a search. Vinyl is an option.

No new forum needed. There is painting your aircraft forum, you can post in any of the specific model forums, or post in general discussion as you did. You point out there are already threads on wrap, which you found. Last there is the "search" option. Car guys have been wrapping for a long time and biggest source of Info. I have watched several how to videos for cars. For the price of a professional aircraft paint job, a vinyl guy should target this market and do it for a fraction the price.

Hey looks good... and bright. There is something to be said for being visible for safety. I will be watching you wrappers and learning, see how wrap works out, but for now I am planning pant. However plan on flying sans paint and may be using some vinyl to make it look sporty in the interim.

My WWII pilot Dad use to be superstitious of the color YELLOW (not sure if he was joking or just didn't care for it, but); in honor of my Dad, no yellow for me.... Ha ha.

Last edited:
There is no Vinyl Wrap forum. Maybe it's time. Please no debate on vinyl vs paint. Plenty of threads discussing that already. Do a search. Vinyl is an option. This is about how to tackle the job.
I've documented the process and posted a page to my blog. If we get a new forum thread, I will post it there as well. So far the tail feathers are done. It's not anywhere near as much work as paint, but I have picked up a few tips and tools that really make the job easier.
I have quite a bit of scrap yellow if anyone wants to play. Its 3M 2080. I can send a 12" wide piece rolled up with no box pretty cheap. It probably will get creased but, it's free right? Donate to VAF.
View attachment 52119

No comment on vinyl but see that you're from Estes Park. Had a nice time at the Stanley there with my wife a month or two ago!

Wrap process

I wrapped portions of my RV-7 in 2018. Some of it was done by an installer and the rest was done by my wife and me. The airplane has always been hangared but its been to Oshkosh and back a few times. It is showing some wear and I need to replace some of it. I have been asked about the process and how it went. I posted three videos about my mistakes and what I would do different. I'll list those below. Just remember I am not a professional vinyl installer, just a guy trying to save money on a paint job. The rest of the plane is polished so that may say something about my sanity.

Here are three short videos. The first is about wrapping the wing tip. The second is about covering the wheel pants and the last is at the empennage. These address areas that I would do differently. If you are looking for How To videos search for 3m vinyl application. 3M posted instructional videos on how to use their products.

Hopefully others will post their work and we can build a knowledge base for those want to wrap their project. I used 3M 1080 Cosmic blue vinyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLonbsXVVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazn8bejsx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjfsjNvfJiY

I still support a vinyl forum. If some don't want to use it that is fine. Shouldn't prevent us from starting one. If you want to come to the PNW I'll be wrapping my next project late spring next year. Its not an RV so I won't post videos of that here.

Last edited:
Estes Park

No comment on vinyl but see that you're from Estes Park. Had a nice time at the Stanley there with my wife a month or two ago!

Look me up next time. We live two miles from the Stanley.
Did you stay in room 217?
How many of the 900+ wiskeys did you sample?
I love the history of the place. Beautiful too.

I remember some threads talking about corrosion under the blue protective plastic film they shop on the sheet metal. So how does similar corrosion not happen under aesthetic vinyl?

I wrapped my plane as well, and learned a lot in the process. A small wiki on this would be super helpful.

A few key thoughts:

Handling screw holes, fuel, seams direction vs. airflow direction, control surface considerations, covering or avoiding seems/joints, belly oil considerations, minimum stripe width, minimum corner angles, cutting out N-numbers, on and on. Wrapping the zip-tips was the hardest part.

Maybe I'll make a video too.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I decided to wrap instead of paint because it’s 1/3 the price of paint! I also just wanted to learn how to use wrap. There’s a bit of a learning curve but YT videos are a great resource.
It’s really easy to keep clean. It is holding up well after a year but is very difficult to keep on the wraparound above the windscreen! That’s the only place that you cannot hide the edge to the relative wind. I definitely avoid rain though!
I may, in the future, paint a single base color then add accent stripes with vinyl. I’ve been very happy with the results. Almost everyone thinks it’s paint and are shocked when I tell them it’s vinyl wrapped. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_6286.jpg
    IMG_6286.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5769.jpg
    IMG_5769.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 178
Agreed, I get complements on it all the time and people can't believe it's wrap.

Your comment about rain is spot on. I spent about 4 hours in rain the other day, and while the vinyl mostly did well, any vinyl spanning gaps are unsecured got destroyed. I have some touch-up work to do.

Yep it was easy. Just like your plane you start with the empennage. That's the mostly fiddly bits and once you're done there you'll be good enough to do the rest.

2687-IMG_0672.jpeg

Also wasn't able to wrap the wheel pants, legs or leg fairings. I'd wrapped the leg fairings but those alternating compound curves are a sombitch and it kept wanting to peel off. SO... i bravely gave up and I left up to my good friend Rustoleum.

Also wasn't able to wrap the wheel pants, legs or leg fairings. I'd wrapped the leg fairings but those alternating compound curves are a sombitch and it kept wanting to peel off. SO... i bravely gave up and I left up to my good friend Rustoleum.
I know that dude. And his cousin Krylon!

The wrap testimonials are inspiring. A repaint of the -8 has been looming the last few years. I might just try a wrap and see how it feels for another 3, 4, 5 years.

Fiberglass

I didn't even try. I knew it would be an exercise in futility for me, so I painted all the fiberglass. I chose black so almost any vinyl color would look ok.

Wheel pants

I managed to wrap my wheel pants and I believe I will do it again when the time comes. I broke the process into individual sections. If you think about your seam location beforehand the seams will be difficult to see.

I remember some threads talking about corrosion under the blue protective plastic film they shop on the sheet metal. So how does similar corrosion not happen under aesthetic vinyl?

Alodine or prime. Alodine does not add weight.

I built from an old (20-30 years) kit. The areas with corrosion were on horizontally stored surfaces where dust collected. Then add (acidic) moisture held by the dust and you'll get corrosion. I could imagine that some moisture was trapped under the Van's applied protective vinyl that caused corrosion over the decades. Realize that Van's applies the vinyl for protection while machining and handling. It's not intended for long-term protection.

I'd think that vinyl over clean unscratched alum would protect it from corrosion, but have alodined mine.

Finn

I tried to do 3M paint protective film on my wheel paints. I gave up it. That's a talent beyond mine.

Everything is vinyl except cowlings, wing tips and wheel pants. I had originally wrapped the cowlings, and was fine with it, but figured in the interests of wear & tear, paint would be better. Did the whole bird in one weekend. Use the 3M knifeless tape for striping, good clean lines!

The wrapping (and unwrapping) of KELLI GIRL

Larry started an outstanding thread here about HOW to wrap, and was pretty specific about not wanting to hear about vinyl wrap's pros and cons. Out of respect, I didn't post my experience until I got to talk to him personally about KELLI GIRL's wrap, particularly about the vinyl's performance as a VFR, then hard IFR, aircraft. He urged me to tell the story here, and I hope it provides good food for thought.

In a nutshell: My fully wrapped RV-7A did great for the first 2 years in VMC-only conditions. Then, in IFR and rain, it really took a beating. After flying the wrap for 8 years and 1700+ Hobbs hours, I have now stripped the vinyl: She goes into the paint barn next week.

BACKGROUND
Here's KELLI GIRL's wrap saga from 2015: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=132000

In 2017 I upgraded KELLI GIRL and me to IFR, and haven't been shy about flying through rain. However, the rain drops' impact on the vinyl's leading edge blasts away the outer pigmented layers, showing the inner cushion and lower adhesive layers. Case in point:
IMG_0172.jpg IMG_0173.jpg

Look at the white invasion stripes on the wing's lower leading edge. You can see the ugly gray blotches. That's the damaged vinyl where the rain drops impact-blasted the white surface. That damage appeared on most of the forward-facing surfaces like the cowling, vertical stab, etc. After 8 years of continuing degradation, I was ready for something more durable...like paint.

VINYL REMOVAL
Starting in 1 November, took just over a week for me to remove all control surfaces, panels, and fiberglass from the aircraft, and then remove the vinyl from those parts and the aircraft itself. I removed all the vinyl using a Wagner heat gun set to low. No scraping involved, and no solvents. I used a small blunt plastic scraping blade and concentrated heat just to raise a corner of the vinyl so I could gain purchase. After that, I developed the technique (ie, 'got the hang') of the right amount of heat (only about 2 or 3 seconds), wait a second, then pull UPWARD on the vinyl with force perpendicular to the part's surface. Don't pull forward on the sheet parallel with the metal surface: It'll rip. Pull 90 out. I started at the tail and worked my way forward. After about 8 days I got it all off. BTW, the thicker nitrile-dipped work gloves work great for this job (sufficient tactile contact but thick enough to last).
IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg

VINYL REMOVED, BUT RESIDUE REMAINS
Mark King at GLO Custom paint emphasized the need to get any residual vinyl sheet adhesive OFF of the aircraft. This need became apparent as I discovered just how well the original wrappers treated the surface edges and seams. Because I had placed such emphasis on zero water intrusion in 2015, the wrappers ran a strip of surface adhesive along the skin edges and skin seams:
IMG_0171.jpg
Here you can see that "glue" strip along the wingtip edge.

MEK AND SCOTCHBRITE
To address this, I donned the butyl gloves, carbon mask, and eye protection, and tackled the entire airplane with MEK and red Scotchbrite, including all the metal parts I had already removed (turkey feathers, panels, etc.). That strip of residue came right up with MEK, with a reasonable amount of scrubbing. I MEK-scrubbed the entire airplane. I then sprayed more MEK on the areas and removed all the residual residue with blue shop paper towels. It took time and patience, but it worked fine. I didn't work the fiberglass parts because they'll get surface-sanded, but I really worked over the aluminum.
IMG_0148.jpg IMG_0149.jpg

I did not externally prime KELLI GIRL when I built her, so I was happy to find no corrosion other than VERY minor surface blemishes here or there. GLO will follow my MEK scrub with another thorough surface acid scrub, then Alodine.

I'm sticking with the same color scheme for KELLI GIRL, although the blue and silver metal flake I chose is going to POP in the sun. :cool:
8-12 weeks and she'll be back ready to fly.

TAKEAWAYs:
- Vinyl wrap is just fine for VFR-only aircraft.
- Vinyl wrap is NOT good if you plan to fly through rain often.
- Vinyl wrap is easier to damage than paint. Paint is more durable.
- Vinyl wrap is easier to repair than paint, but the repair is apparent.
- My decision to wrap over un-primed skin was just fine, but you can expect to have some minor spots of surface corrosion that can be cleaned/buffed whenever the wrap is removed.
- Vinyl on the belly loses adhesion when exposed to engine oil and smoke oil.
- Wrap removal took some work and patience, but it WILL come off.

Would I do it again?
Probably not. It looked great until it didn't. Next time, I'll just go ahead and paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I managed to wrap my wheel pants and I believe I will do it again when the time comes. I broke the process into individual sections. If you think about your seam location beforehand the seams will be difficult to see.

I tried twice. I really did. I actually had better luck trying a full wrap of the nose piece all at once than doing a seam. In the end it was like trying to wrap a bowling ball and that's still slightly above my pay grade.

One day when I go schizoid and re wrap it all some seizure inducing holographic laser chrome iridescent insanity I'll get the pants right. :D

The adhesive removal can be shortcut using a product called Rapid Tac Rapid Remover. It's pro level stuff for the wrap industry. Quickly turns vinyl adhesive into something akin to snot, and then it's scraped off with a plastic squeegee. It will still need some final cleanup, but there won't be much remaining quantity.

If you have a wrapped vehicle and expect to remove it in the future, sooner is better. Eventually it gets brittle, and will only come off in little bits. On some older truck bodies we would just cut it off with a oscillating knife and repaint the truck, because it was cheaper than the labor hours.

Here's a trick which should transfer to RVs. The fast way to peel an aluminum truck body is to aim a kerosene space heater into the box, heating the whole body from the inside. Should be able to do something similar with electric heat inside an RV wing or tail cone. Only need 150F or so.

Vinyl mistake

Well, no one can say I don't share my mistakes.

Plan your fuse. After my success on the empennage, I made the arrogant mistake of thinking I could skin the belly of the fuse in one section all by myself. Big mistake. Gravity is a ruthless biscuit. Sure, with four other handlers, maybe. Laying on an automotive creeper while trying to squeegee vinyl, pulling it tight and trying to remove the backer paper is an exercise in futility. Thankfully, I cut the section to reduce waste so there's a section I can still use. I had a stand to hold the roll and laser center line. I thought all the "T"s were crossed. Must have been the non dotted "I"s. Oh well. Sweetie tried to help, but we needed help.

Humilty lesson 1. Larson arrogance 0.
I ended up with a pile of vinyl worth about $200.

No one will ever see the seams on the belly so just apply it in sections aligned to the skins and be happy. Start at the aft end and apply skins moving forward so seams overlap with the wind. The side skins can overlap the bottom skins and seal everthing.

Of course, if you have four willing people to hold the vinyl nice and snug and keep it aligned, that's great.

Lesson learned.
20231211_152905.jpg

I wrapped my RV10 with vinyl recently (less then 50 flying hours ago). It was a learning curve for me - long process!
Lots of things to consider during the wrap: airflow and seams, screw holes, around control surfaces, etc.

While it is cost effective solution for me (about 25% of local paint shop price) it introduces some possible problems in my opinion: should any small crack starts anywhere on the surface it will likely stay invisible under the the vinyl. Not sure how significant this issue can be but this is exactly the reason why Transport Canada does not allow vinyl wrap on certified airplanes here in Canada.

For past ~50 hours of flying no major issues with the vinyl. The only problems I had/have were:

- Vinyl did not want to attach to engine cowlings. I had to put few layers of primer and then few layers of clearcoat before it finally did attached well.

- After landing I can see some air bubbles around hottest part of my bottom cowling (over exhaust I guess). They disappear after 10-15 minutes. I guess the only solution to get rid of them is to redo the vinyl over cowling.

Do I like the end result: definitely YES
Would I recommend it to a friend: probably YES
Will I do that again: most likely YES, unless I win 6/49 :D

Attachments

• IMG-8871.jpg
    IMG-8871.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 136
I know that dude. And his cousin Krylon!

The wrap testimonials are inspiring. A repaint of the -8 has been looming the last few years. I might just try a wrap and see how it feels for another 3, 4, 5 years.

Me too. My paint is almost 20 years old and getting tired.

I'd be interested in understanding the best way to prep a previously painted aircraft for wrap.

Is stripping to bare metal the best approach?

Vinyl

Me too. My paint is almost 20 years old and getting tired.

I'd be interested in understanding the best way to prep a previously painted aircraft for wrap.

Is stripping to bare metal the best approach?

It depends on your goal. If weight is a consideration, the paint should come off, but then it's bare aluminum and a potential for corrosion. Adding a full wrap over a painted airplane would be an extra 12lbs or so. Lots of decisions.