ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Except for the vinyl checkerboard I put on my tail, my airplane is all Jet Glo Matterhorn white. It needs some color on the fuselage, and I am not that interested in masking and painting.

Can anyone direct me to someone that has produced vinyl graphics for an RV-4? I'm looking for something pretty simple, a strip or two down the side.

Thanks,

graphics

contact Vince Frazier's son Brian at Flyboy Accessories.com. He does great work, reasonably priced, and is great to work with. Highly recommended.:)

Honestly, if you are looking for something simple--straight lines and such, you could cut them yourself. It would cost you about $100 for the first color, $70 for additional. Go to signwarehouse.com (I just buy from them) and buy their best vinyl. I have a computerized setup, but hand cut simple things. Easy and fun. If you go to a sign shop, make sure they use the best vinyl. It will last MUCH longer!

Bob

a quick vinyl definition

Most vinyl failures are similar to paint failures; inadequate prep or application.

If vinyl is securely stuck to the surface, it will last it's warranted time, say 5 to 9 years without fading or peeling etc.
If it is stretched across a seam, bridged over panels, or 'tented' over a rivet, that unsupported material will fail.
Obviously, something flat on the wing is exposed to much harsher UV than something on the side of the fuselage ( in sun only 1/3 of the day) or underwing, ( possibly never in the sun).

All the of the big manufacturers such as 3M, Arlon, Avery, Oracal have premium automotive products. You want to ensure it's a CAST film, not calendared.
this means they pour a liquid resin into sheets and very accurately profile it to 2 mils thick....then apply the adhesive and backing sheet etc.
Calendared films start as a big ball of vinyl dough, and are stretched and rolled repeatedly until they meet the 2.5 or 3.2 mil profile desired. Over time, they Will try to shrink back into a ball, so the edges curl up, or you'll see exposed adhesive getting dirty around the edges. The larger the area, the more evident the shrinkage as a percentage.
You can buy cheap 1/4" striping at the autoparts store or Wal-mart, and it might last forever, just because it ain't gonna shrink much across that tiny width.

Thanks, guys. I've sent e-mail's to both Aero Graphics and Flyboy Accessories. Hopefully they'll have some ideas.

And I also know about using gel. The first checkerboard I put on the tail I didn't use it, and it was a bit difficult to get aligned. The second side I used gel and it was much easier to align, thought it did take longer to set and dry.

Mannan, thanks for the kind words. We're glad that you were pleased with your graphics!

One minor correction, Blake is the one who is our graphics wizard, not Brian.

Other have given sound advice about the vinyl quality. Never use, or let anyone else use, anything but the best quality vinyls. The cheap stuff will shrink and curl in a few short years, whether it's inside or outside. The good stuff will last the life of the paint. Vinyl is a poor place to save a few pennies!

Mannan, thanks for the kind words. We're glad that you were pleased with your graphics!

One minor correction, Blake is the one who is our graphics wizard, not Brian.

Other have given sound advice about the vinyl quality. Never use, or let anyone else use, anything but the best quality vinyls. The cheap stuff will shrink and curl in a few short years, whether it's inside or outside. The good stuff will last the life of the paint. Vinyl is a poor place to save a few pennies!

Mea culpa Vince. I knew that. Sitting here in hospital rehab in a fog with a sore bu--,:eek: pill cart flying by and needles pointed at me from every direction, I typed in Blake's name wrong. Tell Blake I'm sorry.:eek:

(Brian is MY son's name.)