mdredmond

Well Known Member
Getting ready to start training again after giving up for lack of funds in '88.

I'd like to buy some videos, as this is the fastest way I learn (besides keeping Kershner by the toilet).

Sporty's flight school killed a student a few years' back by failing to follow a mandatory Cessna SB (NTSB Report) and that bothers me - I tend to hold grudges about stuff like that... But I'll buy whichever videos are the best according to popular opinion - can I get one?

Thanks!

-matt

Last edited:
King for me

I haven't used Sporty's Flight Training materials although I do buy LOTS of stuff from them and like them alot.......not sure why I haven't won an Airplane from them yet... :rolleyes:
I did use KING VCR tapes to get my PPL, many years ago and still refer to the video about BFR's every 2 years.
I liked KING, also they have a trade on policy on old equipment, so for less money, you can keep your materials current.
Just my .02
Bob Martin
RV-6

Video

I had the Sporty's private video course about 8 years ago and it was more general information where the King course is specific and intended to help you pass the written test. I really like the Cessna CBI kit demo discs. It is put out by Cessna and King Schools together. This is interactive and actually shows you how to perform the tasks you should be learning in your flying lessons as well as the written test info.

Andy

I used the Sporty's DVDs for my ground school training, and I really liked them. I also just bought the Flight Review DVD for my BFR. Passed with "flying" colors (pun fully intended). The nice thing about Sporty's is that you can order Disk 1 of the series for free to see if you like the format. I intend on getting the instrument training course when I go down that path.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way because in general I've ordered lots of stuff from Sporty's and really like their stuff. Last year I ordered the Sporty's IFR training course. It was excruciatingly slow paced (bordering on unwatchable), dull and IMHO utterly useless as a training course. Maybe this is harsh but to say anything else would be dishonest about how I felt and I simply refuse to do that.

It's a shame because the production itself was very good in terms of raw quality and it certainly had potential to be outstanding.

I'm going to try to do my IFR again this year and will definately be ordering King.

And as always, this is JUST MY OPINION. :D

Last edited:
I used the Sporty's for my PPL. Not impressed but they were ok. You can just memorize the questions at the end of the dvd's and easily pass your written but I'm assuming you want more out of it than that. I didn't find them worth keeping so I sold them on e-bay after my test for about $20.00 less than I paid for them. I guess you can't really complain about paying $20.00 for ground school.

Used king for Private, Instrument, Commercial, and CFI. Got at least a 90 on all, and one 100. Can't beat 'em. Plus, a $300 course will sell for $200 on Ebay when you are done.

used Sporty's - got 98 on PP, IFR

I found both the Private Pilot and the new (they just re-did it this year) IFR DVD course to be excellent. I got high scores on both written exams, but more importantly, I feel I really understand the material.

Never used Sporty's but I used King for my PPL with good success. I was always alert and attentive when it was John's turn to talk, but I would slip into a mild coma every time Marta came on. It must have taken me 10+ times to get through the tapes w/o falling asleep. Probably just me. :D

No choice back in 'the good old days!'-All live IP's!

We had no DVDs,CDs,VCRs back in the good old days! In fact-cassettes and 8 tracks were just on the horizon!

I had to endure live classes with a live IP. Sometimes color slides were used! Best instruction was illustrated on the back of paper napkins in the local airport restaurant, which had square meals cooked by live cooks! "Fast food" was not yet popular.

My father even takes aviation history back further. He said in his good old days you could take a T-6 or B-25 and fly anywhere anytime (he had a green card- top IFR category) and get fuel, hot food, maintenance 24x7)

Vern said:
I had to endure live classes with a live IP. Sometimes color slides were used! Best instruction was illustrated on the back of paper napkins in the local airport restaurant, which had square meals cooked by live cooks! "Fast food" was not yet popular.

You're spot on Vern. Problem is that there are a LOT of CFI's these days that won't even begin training with you until after you've passed the written. I find this totally bizaare but that's how it is for a lot of guys.

edit: I should mention that this only applies to IFR training. My PPL was normal just like everyone elses.

Last edited:
Have fun

jcoloccia said:
You're spot on Vern. Problem is that there are a LOT of CFI's these days that won't even begin training with you until after you've passed the written. I find this totally bizarre but that's how it is for a lot of guys.
Really? I like the combined method of ground with flight training. The student can read and apply the knowledge, however you can do 100% ground and exam with zero time in plane. You also can do 100% of your flight training right up to check ride with out the written taken. I think some where in the middle is best. I don't see an advantage other than getting it out of the way. In fact some flight time I think helps understand the book work better, with better retention. It is a fundamental of learning. Things that are REAL, relevant, practiced, applied and urgent are best learned. You may take a ground school and pass the written but not really know ditty.

In the old days it use to take weeks or month plus to get results. That was the main reason to get the written out of the way, so waiting for results did not hold up taking the check ride. Now, at least for the last 15 years or more, results are instant.

I believe jcoloccia, I'm with him, I just did not do it that way. One lesson learned is the CFI is the boss so to speak, but it is up to you to communicate what YOU want, what is best for you. If you don't like something than communicate; don't sit there and says nothing. If you don't tell your CFI they don't know. If you want to start to flight lessons before the written, than that is reasonable. There is no regulation requiring it. However you need to come prepared. For example before lesson #1 in the plane you need to know or have a basic understanding of: Aircraft systems, flight controls, aerodynamics and normal procedures (pre-flight, engine start, taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, approach and landing, check list, airport, pattern and ATC). Lesson #2 flight maneuvers, turns, climb, decent and so on, building on lesson #1 and so on. If you show up and have no clue the instructor spends more time talking and charging you for ground. So one motivation is keeping your dual instruction time down and do more flying than talking when you are at the airport.

Remember to have fun, Cheers George CFI(I-ME)

PS as far as leaning tools there are so many I am out of touch. Sporty, King, Jeppesen, ASA and Gleim. I have seen samples over the years, they are OK. I like to read, so books worked for me. May I suggest eBay? You can get a good deals on pilot training materials that are a year old or so. The basics of aerodynamics and maneuvers has not changed since the Wrights Bros. Airspace and regs have been fairly stable over the last 5-10 years. Getting old training materials could be problematic, but you should always have the latest AIM/FAR as the final authority. The trick sometimes is interpreting the FAR's. Also a must have is the FAA private pilot test prep book, Gleim or ASA are the two big publishers of written training materials. Also you need the PTS - practical test standards for private pilot. As you study you should practice the test questions as you go. BTW I expect you to get a 90% or better on your written. :D

Last edited: