rleffler

Well Known Member
My APRS system quit working around Oshkosh timeframe. Since it was a critical system and the fact the transmitter is buried deep behind a subpanel under the glare shield, it wasn't a priority to fix.

I engaged a three way conversation with Allen (VHS), Byon (Byonics), and Don (Delta Pop Aviation) to trouble shoot the situation.

The cables tested fine, so the attention went to both the transmitter or the antenna. Allen offered to test my Microtrak 3 RTG. I sent it to him and he confirmed it was working as designed. It also suggested some other tweaks to the settings. It returned the unit to me and didn't charge me anything for his services.

Don sent me a new APRS antenna to try since it was appearing the was the only other element that I couldn't validate it working. This was an offer made by Don and sent it without charging a credit card.

Then Allen and Byon asked about the status LED on the Microtrak. This was overlooked by all. I was in the Airflow Performance class and because of the location under the panel, I couldn't see the LED on the flight home.

An interesting anomaly was that APRS worked the last 40 minutes on my flight to KSPA and again the return flight. But it didn't work on the three one hour local flights in between. When I returned home, I pulled an EFIS to see the LED. It was flashing, which meant the GPS was synced to the satellites. My Byonics GPS 2 was intermittent and apparently takes over an hour to sync with the satellites. I swapped the GPS 2 with a Byonics GPS 5.

I flew to breakfast this morning. When I returned home, I checked APRS.FI and low and behold, I had a visible track.

Allen, Don, and Byon all we extremely helpful in troubleshooting the situation. Usually responding to emails late a night and on the weekend. I couldn't ask for better support from a vendor.

If you want to put APRS in your RV, I highly recommend a Byonics Microtrak RTG, a Byonics GPS 5, and a Delta Pop Aviation antenna( not on the web site, but you can get it from Don). This is a great combination of gear and vendors.