macrafic

Well Known Member
Since my antennas are not located in an easily accessible spot while flying, I'd like to install an antenna switch in a convenient location, so that I can hook up my handheld quickly, should I ever need to.

What are the pros and cons of installing an antenna switch?

Any recommendations for sources?

Since my antennas are not located in an easily accessible spot while flying, I'd like to install an antenna switch in a convenient location, so that I can hook up my handheld quickly, should I ever need to.

Ummm,

Do you really need a switch?

I think that one can simply install a BNC jack on the panel (or some other place of choice) which ties into the antenna line. And if you want to use the hand-held, then plug it in, turn off the plane radio, and use the hand-held normally. And if you want to use the plane radio, then unplug and turn off and hand-held, and then use the plane radio normally.

Therefore, no explict switch is needed.

Does that make sense?

Handheld

Just splitting the line to the antenna will not provide the results you want or need. Purchase a handheld radio "splitter" sold at Pacific Coast Avionics for $75. When you plug in the handheld it will disconnect the primary radio allowing the handheld to radiate to its full power. Have one in my airplane.

It will...

Just splitting the line to the antenna will not provide the results you want or need. Purchase a handheld radio "splitter" sold at Pacific Coast Avionics for $75. When you plug in the handheld it will disconnect the primary radio allowing the handheld to radiate to its full power. Have one in my airplane.

...if all you want is emergency use of the handheld when the panel radio is on the blink.

Just have a short co-ax with a compatible (to your handheld) antenna connection, and connect it to the antenna BNC after you remove the panel radio connection.

Save $75....:)

You do this and you run the risk of smoking the final stage of the "turned off" transmitter not to mention you are going to way oversaturate the receiver section and you will most likely be running way higher than 3:1 SWR on the working transmitter which could damage it....Turning the switch "off" does not decouple the radio from the transmission line....

I would not recommend this at all but I am just an opinion just like everyone else.......

Ummm,

Do you really need a switch?

I think that one can simply install a BNC jack on the panel (or some other place of choice) which ties into the antenna line. And if you want to use the hand-held, then plug it in, turn off the plane radio, and use the hand-held normally. And if you want to use the plane radio, then unplug and turn off and hand-held, and then use the plane radio normally.

Therefore, no explict switch is needed.

Does that make sense?

Anyone remember that Kitplanes article about 5 years ago, wheere Jim Weir covered this exact topic?

From memory, he used a 3.5mm socket inserted into the antenna coax in such a way that inserting the plug (suitably connected to your handheld antenna socket) disconnected the feed to your now-deceased panel-mount. In the same way a portable radio will disconnect the speaker when you plug in your headphones...

He didn't recommend using a big-*** plug as you'd start to get measurable losses from the sheer size of the connector...I'll dig the article out if I still have it.

Just to be specific...

...if all you want is emergency use of the handheld when the panel radio is on the blink.

Just have a short co-ax with a compatible (to your handheld) antenna connection, and connect it to the antenna BNC after you remove the panel radio connection.

Save $75....:)

...I'm suggesting that the normal co-ax line from the panel radio to the antenna is completely disconnected.

If you don't transmit, no harm will come to the panel radio, and even if the PTT is activated, most modern radios should not burn out with an open circuit antenna (but don't experiment...:)...)

This also keeps everything in both normal and emergency mode as straight 50 ohm connections.

I like Az Gila's way:
If I understand...
the antenna coax has a splice connector that fits your hand held and is easily reached in the cockpit.
When your comm fails, you disconnect this splice joint, and plug it directly into the hand held radio, which hopefully has a mount bracket so you can see the frequency, make adjustments, and some are equiped with VOR radial too.
Don't forget the headphone adapter!
I have an ICOM NAVICOM IC-A22. Old reliable. I was planning to mount it in the back seat of my RV-8 with a wingtip antenna, so the wife could yell for help if she doesn't like my flying ;) but also be able to reach back and bring it up front if needed.

I have a small loop of coax tucked in behind my sidewall upholstery. It has a BNC plug and BNC jack installed in it. When I pull it out it just reaches to the passenger seat, allowing me to attach the BNC plug onto my handheld that's sitting on the pax seat. Works a charm and cost next to nothing to install. Just remember, the BNC plug needs to go onto the chunk of coax that heads out toward the VHF antenna. (I know, don't ask...)