Toobuilder

Well Known Member
With all the different systems out there, I was wondering if any of the displays had some way of importing and displaying a video signal? My thinking is that with the super low cost of lipstick cameras today, it might be useful to have one permanently mounted in the airframe as a situational awareness/taxi aid. It would be nice to be able to display this picture on the primary display.

The other thing that I think would be neat is to output the current display image to another source - like a DVD screen or iPad so the back seater could have an idea what was going on up front. Might be nice in an emergency or simply for the entertainment/training value.

Do any of the manufacturers offer this capability?

With all the different systems out there, I was wondering if any of the displays had some way of importing and displaying a video signal? My thinking is that with the super low cost of lipstick cameras today, it might be useful to have one permanently mounted in the airframe as a situational awareness/taxi aid. It would be nice to be able to display this picture on the primary display.

The other thing that I think would be neat is to output the current display image to another source - like a DVD screen or iPad so the back seater could have an idea what was going on up front. Might be nice in an emergency or simply for the entertainment/training value.

Do any of the manufacturers offer this capability?

the G2 displays from MGL are available in 3 different sizes and have multiple composite video inputs and one VGA output. They are the only one to do this AFAIK.

I sure seem to remember seeing a demo of a GRT with a camera input Michael....but I see so many different systems that I might be mixing that up. might want to check with Carlos.

Paul

As mentioned above(below depending on your config), the MGL Avionics G2 products have 4 composite video inputs & one VGA video output.

The video inputs come typically from bullet cams, FLIR devices and are used for increased situational awareness in taxi, night, etc. The VGA output is used to drive a second VGA display, such as for tandem seating.

The MGL video capabilities are being carried forward into the iEFIS system, which has just been released to production.

Last edited:
....The video inputs come typically from bullet cams, FLIR devices and are used for increased situational awareness in taxi, night, etc. The VGA output is used to drive a second VGA display, such as for tandem seating....

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about! Seems like they should all do that!

Thanks for the info everybody.

MGL has some amazing features that get mostly ignored because people fail to take the time to research their products. There is real value in the MGL line.

Last edited:
Yes, S video or RCA connection

Hi Michael,

GRT Avionics Horizon HX and HXr http://grtavionics.com/default.aspx?id=43 support video input through a USB port adapter.

The image below is from a night flight at our home airport. Without the runway lights on the runway is in total darkness. (Note: The flight instruments are not specific to this particular flight. The flight instruments were overlaid afterward as the EFIS does not record the video input.)

FlirandPFDlarge.JPG

Some customers have flir camera installations and others standard camera installations. One customer with a seaplane has multiple cameras and a splitter to see from different locations.

If you would like more information about GRT Avionics and its products please visit grtavionics.com

Best regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Last edited: