Dmadd

Well Known Member
I bought some used VG's for my RV-4, but so far have been unable to locate any plans or templates for their placement. Any ideas?

Dennis

I installed them on my last plane (Rans SE6) and the spacing was 2.5" in between. It helped with the stall speed.

VG placement

What part of the RV-4 performance envelope do you find deficient? What are you trying to improve with the VGs?

No real problems. The four flies pretty darn nice... However, comma, I was reading about the improvements these made to the Cherokee airplanes, and wondering if they could do anything for my four.
I was thinking I would put some on the inboard section of the wing to fill in the dead zone near the fuselage (spanwise flow at high alt and in landing config) Don't know if it would fix anything at all, but when I tufted those areas I noticed the air flowing straight sideways at high angles of attack. Also noticed the tufts on the flaps blew forward as soon as I deployed them. I'm thinking maybe it will attach the flow better, fill in the dead areas, and send it down the flaps with more energy. Might slow landing speed a bit, but with short gear I'll never make use of it anyway.
Also just wondering if putting a few on one side of the rudder will take the place of a trim tab... (won't try that one without reading more though...)
Just playing a bit I suppose... ;-) Experimenting... <BG>

Last edited:
Hi Dennis..

You'll also take a few MPH off your cruise and the rag will hang up when you try and wash the airplane:)

The angles of the VG's need to be correct for them to be effective as well.

Best,