sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
I have an Rv-6 that I did not build. It is a flying machine that is currently getting it's panel pulled and replace with a new one. I hope to have my IFR ticket when the job is complete. My question is, the plane was certified for night VFR. How do I go about changing this to IFR so I am legal to fly it IFR?

Thanks,

Jason Sneed

Conversion to IFR

Read your Operating Limitations for your aircraft. These are required to be on board and are considered to be a part of your pink Airworthiness Certificate. They probably say something like " unless suitably equipped..."

"Suitably equip" it, get your other altimeter/static check and go fly.

thanks

thats simple enough... When the guy put in the new panel I am sure they will do the required checks...

thanks,,

Jason

What you do is have the necessary instrumentation and navigation electronics for whatever type of approaches you want to do. I.e. With a single VOR, you can do a VOR approach. With Marker Beacon added, you can do a localizer approach. With a glide slope receiver you can do an ILS approach, etc. etc. More equipment expands your options. Also there is a required static system and transponder check that has to be done by a certified shop, plus the VOR checks every few months done by you. That?s about it. The rest is up to you to maintain currency.