sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Looking over my shopping list, I'm staring back at the exhaust again. Real simple, probably highly subjective, question - mufflers or not? A long while back, I had emailed Larry and Clint, and Clint mentioned that the mufflers only take off 6db, really just removing the snap and edginess off the sound. It also dramatically increased cabin heating.

Anyone heard or fly RVs (specifically a -320) with these mufflers? Are they worth the ~$500 price difference? Thanks!

If I could take the muffler off my Piper 140, I would. It robs 10 or 15 horses. Very quiet though. No need for those expensive ANR headsets.

I like my Vetterman crossover exhaust with mufflers. Not so much because I'm concerned about noise, but because of the amazing cabin heat available from just one muffler shroud.

One thing I don't like about them is I believe they block a substantial portion of the cowl exit. I have the smaller lower cowl for a carbureted O-320 on my 9A and I am still fighting high CHTs. I'm really suspecting that there's just not enough exit area with the mufflers in the way.

Cabin noise

I just ordered carpet for no other reason than to reduce cabin noise. There's a recent thread on the subject. I've got a db meter. I'll try to do a before and after test to see how much noise reduction I get. Anyway, Flightline has forward area carpet kit for less than $200 and it probably weighs less than the muffler. I'm hoping to get better than 6db reduction, but who knows? John

I like my Vetterman crossover exhaust with mufflers. Not so much because I'm concerned about noise, but because of the amazing cabin heat available from just one muffler shroud.

One thing I don't like about them is I believe they block a substantial portion of the cowl exit. I have the smaller lower cowl for a carbureted O-320 on my 9A and I am still fighting high CHTs. I'm really suspecting that there's just not enough exit area with the mufflers in the way.

What he said.

I've got the mufflers and probably would skip them if I were to do it over. It's still loud. Noise cancelling headsets make it all quiet.

I've got them, but only have five hours on my plane (stupid Texas monsoons).

I went with them mostly for the extra heat.

I don't have a good opinion on the noise yet. I've been running the engine pretty hard for break in, and I haven't put my carpet in yet.

-Dan