N130WN

Well Known Member
Anyone have any feedback on the Vetterman exhaust system with mufflers? A friend is considering them for his flying RV-9 O-320.

Any input anyone?

O-360 with two mufflers

I installed an O-360 with two mufflers on my 9A. Vetterman built the system. It's a little quieter than one muffler. My intent was to be neighborhood friendly given the residential encroachment we face in Tucson.

No problems with installation or performance. I regularly achieve 1550 fpm at 3500 d/a with full fuel and passenger.

Vettermanized exhaust with mufflers

I have an RV9A with an Aircraft Exhaust exhaust with mufflers. I had problems with leakage at the ball joints so I sent it to Vetterman to be adjusted to his specs. When the system was returned I also had them include straight pipes as I wanted to make a comparison. The straight pipes definitely added a fair amount of cabin noise plus added vibration. Switched back to the mufflers as they made the flight more comfortable. I did not notice any difference in speeds.

Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

Quieter and less vibration

The straight pipes definitely added a fair amount of cabin noise plus added vibration. Switched back to the mufflers as they made the flight more comfortable.

Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

That's also one of the reasons I went with 2 mufflers. My bird is definitely quieter and has less vibration than the RV I trained in.