My clearance is about 1 1/2 inches from the pipes to the ramp. This leaves about 1 1/4 from the pipes to the cowling. If you put the pipes any closer to the ramp you will have a great deal of difficulty removing/installing the hinge pins in the lower cowl.

Thanks

I had heard if they're too close you get a lot of cabin vibration/noise from a local RV builder who has built 4. I believe your recommendation is about what he suggested. I'll go with that for now.

Thanks again!

There are numerous reports of ramp / floor skin cracking on RV-8s. In turn attributed to exhaust too close to fuselage. Same issue as Sandy gives above.

Addressed partially by the Vetterman "turned down tips", but also by having exhaust as low as possible. As far as:
If you put the pipes any closer to the ramp you will have a great deal of difficulty removing/installing the hinge pins in the lower cowl
goes we insert/remove those pins above the exhaust i.e. the pipes are far closer to the cowl than fuselage.

No idea of the truth in the cracking / exhaust position, but at 550hrs / 1050 flights lots aerobatic etc. no cracking (yet) observed with "low" exhaust ;)