Brambo

Well Known Member
Trying to install the #2 exhaust pipe, but it is interfered with by the #2 intake pipe. If the solution is to bend the exhaust pipe to make it fit, what is a good technique for bending these pipes? Also, once everything is fit, is there a minimum distance I should keep between any exhaust pipe and the intake pipes?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

You might want to double check that you have the right pipes for your engine. My pipes fit great on my XP-360 without any problems.

Jim

Better call on this one, you may have the wrong setup. I don't recall bending any exhaust to miss an intake.

Best,

Phone him.

Bill - before you start bending I would pick up the phone. He really helped me out when I had a probem. He has a web site which I am sure Google will find for you.

Thanks for the replies. I will call. The #2 pipe cannoth go on, and the #3 pipe is hitting the #1 intake pipe.

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

My Mistake

I talked to Vetterman and discovered that the exhaust I have is for a Superior Sump, but I have a Lycoming. So I called Van's (assuming they goofed and sent me the wrong one), only to learn that I had ordered the FWF kit for a superior engine. Oh yea, I remember now, I was thinking of buying a Superior engine, but later changed my mind. Oops:D Anyway, all is forgiven. I'm sending my exhaust back to Van's in exchange for the correct one (happy to pay the shipping).

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Just an FYI here... some of these exhaust systems also have ball type rotation fittings. If yours does, lubricate the joint (Ball Fitting) and make sure and keep it lubricated. If the joint ever seizes up your exhaust system can and probably will crack. :eek:

Good point Darrell

I recently checked my exhaust ball joints and they were not properly loose. I added mouse milk lubricant to them and they are now fine. That will become a regular maintenance activity.