lostpilot28

Well Known Member
I just got my SJ lower cowl attached and found that my exhaust pipes are barely touching the cowl where it is radiused down into the air-scoop. Maybe about 8 inches forward from the back of the cowl. I can push the exhaust pipes inward until they touch the engine mount which gives me maybe 1/2-inch of clearance. I'm surprised that it's that tight in there. Does anyone else have this issue?

Also, it was pointed out to me that my exhaust pipes don't turn downward at the exit. They're just straight. Are they supposed to be turned down?

I recently adjusted the pipes on my -7A because they touched the cowl and were aimed too parallel to the bottom of the fuselage. The point where the aft sections of exhaust mount with the fixed crossover pipes is essentially a ball joint and can be rotated to provide both cowl clearance and the proper downward deflection of the exhaust ( no more than 25 degrees IIRC ). This adjustment will help with any clearance issues with the engine mounts as well.

Best of luck...
Rob

Yup, mine are tight at the same location - tighter on the left side pipe than the right for some reason. I put on a couple layers of the sticky-backed foil heat shield stuff from Vans on the cowl there and messed with the exhaust support mounts to get the best clearance I could - which aint much - maybe 3/4" at best. But, no evidence of any heat damage so far, so Im ok with it. Take a look at one of the last photos in this link that was recently posted regarding another issue - it shows some spacers added to the exhaust support mounts:

http://www.flion.com/flionwiki/index.php?title=Mixture_Bracket

Something like that might allow you to lift the exhaust higher. But remember, dont go too high - you dont want the exhaust beating on the bottom of the fuselage like a drum.

erich

Thanks...I was thinking that the heat shield stuff may have to do the trick. I haven't yet tried rotating the pipes, but I'm hoping to get a little bit more room...it's less than 1/2" as it is now.