David Paule

Well Known Member
This little brass hammer is now on its third or fourth homebuilt. I didn't make it, but I use it almost every day. Doesn't look like much but it's really very useful.

msmxx0.jpg

The brass head is 5/8 inch diameter by 2 1/4 long. The hole is 1/4 inch diameter and the handle is about 6 3/8 inches long, including the part inside the head. Looks like a small nail expands the tang of the handle in the head.

Carve the handle for comfort.

Dave

Brass hammer

I found a small brass hammer at a sale at an aircraft engine shop years ago .They thought it was worn out. It is my favorite tool! I use it almost every day I am in the hangar!

Greg, I use it on anything that needs tapping. If something's lightly clamped and needs some minor shifting, it's just the thing. It's the go-to tool for tapping out rivets if I need to do that.

Surprising handy, and at least for me it's definitely a must-have tool, in spite of its appearance.

Dave

I use mine to punish myself everyday for getting involved in this hobby.

Usually, when I say LOL, the truth is I didn't actually LOL. But, David's comment above caught me off-guard, and so this time when I say you made me LOL, I really did LOL.

Loudly. Even scared the dogs.

--
Stephen

You don't have a hammer? Can't wait to get home so I can post a pic of my hammer. This one has such character it is killing me. The handle came right out of Daniel Boone.

Not a hammer!

That's not a hammer ... it's a left-handed smoke shifter. I used them all the time in Boy Scouts. We kept it right next to the prop wash .. gotta keep those props clean!