skyfrog

Well Known Member
I have realized that my RV-9A will take many years to complete at my current rate. But that's OK, because I'm enjoying the process of building. The cost savings over a QB was also a factor. Going the slower route is saving money in the long run. I was wondering if the same approach could be used to rebuild an engine. Say I find a nice 320 core this year, some cylinders on sale at Sun-N-Fun the next year, etc.

Can one effectively rebuild an engine over a couple of years?

I realize corrosion is a huge factor, since I live in Florida, but I assume each part can be pickled with care as they are gathered. Also, I will learn the workings of the engine much better than simply buying one ready to install.

Is this a cost effective (and safe) way to acquire an inexpensive engine?

No doubt your plan will work. It is essentially what I did. I bought a run-out, disassembled it, and farmed out all the parts for yellow tagging 2 or 3 years before I finished the airplane. By the time I actually assembled the engine, some of the parts had been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

However...

Unless you get an absolute steal on something, why not wait until later in the build process to start down the engine purchase/rebuild? Maybe a "steal" will come along that you can take advantage of. Maybe not. In either case, you'll have the $$ in your bank account when the absolute right deal comes along.

Also, you'll have those bucks in reserve to make sure you don't get bogged down due to finances on the airframe kit.

I did exactly what you are saying when I was building. I started building in 1989 and made first flight in 1997. I got the engine before the wings were finished In 1990.

I paid $2,600 for a TriPacer with engine that I saw run before purchasing. Pulled the engine and parted the rest out for about $900 of NEW engine parts and $350 cash. Purchased NEW Superior cylinders in 1996 then flew the following year.

I used LPS-3 to protect all STEEL parts while in storage. The bottom end was finished before I purchased cylinders. ALL steel parts in the cylinders are coated with GREASE when it is assembled and it will protect the parts as long as you do not rotate the engine.

My engine and airplane had 2,154.9 on the hobbs when I put it away on Sunday. No problems with the engine in the almost 11 years of flying. Yes I did the final assembly but did send parts and pieces out. Yes I have an A&P so it did not bother me to do it myself.

I'm on the slow overhaul plan

I'm doing exactly what you suggest. I bought a half-redone O-320. The case, crank, cam and all steel parts have been overhauled/yellow tagged by reputable shops. The cylinders with about 1000 hours are untouched (and will probably be sold soon).

I have the crank and cam in the overauler's package - and plan to keep it inside and lubed with light oil to prevent rust. All other steel parts are submerged in a tub of Wal-mart engine oil in the garage.

What should i do with the case? It has been overhauled and is clean. Some of the steel inserts show slight surface rust. I was thinking that I could mask of and at least prime or even paint the outside now. I could then keep the rust at bay on the inserts. Love to hear Garys recommendations... I can't move it indoors (wife has limits) - so it will stay in the garage which is heated and cooled intermittently.

Thanks!