wellsheit

I'm New Here
First off, this is not intended for use on an RV, so if this needs moved, my apologies.

We have a need for a custom tool and I am envisioning something like a vise grip dimpler. Thought as many of you guys as have used these, you might can pitch a dog an idea or two along with a bone.

856.jpg

The issue is this will be used with custom dies to press VERY small brass rod to somewhat form rivets. This is a reverse engineering effort on a ~30 year old part, but we can't think of a better way to pop together two pieces with 1/32 brass wire. There isn't much nose room on it either. I know you're thinking this is a horrible method of adjoining 2 parts, and I agree, but given the configuration, location, and the fact they designed this as an intentional fail point, this is just how it has to remain.

I guess my main question was, does anyone make a hand squeezing dimpler (whether similar to the avery tools vise grip model pictured) or something else similar that accepts interchangable dies? I did some looking around, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. If we can get something that accepts dies, I can design and have our shop make custom ones that will fit our application. Its just finding the tool.

Preciate any ideas.

Well, since you mention the Avery Vise Grip Dimpling tool, have you seen the Avery 'Hand Rivet Squeezing' tool as well?

While this tool is designed for rivet setting, however one can insert dimple dies into it (since they have the same stem as the rivet sets) and use it as a dimple maker as well. I know because I often use this technique since it is much less fatiguing and it works much smoother than does the Vise Grip Dimpling tool.

However, one does have to shim the dies with a series of small, thin washers so that the dies will close enough to form the dimples with this tool.

Does that make sense?

Sure does make sense. I will look into it. One of the big issues is having enough room off the tip of the tool. Not alot of room.

Thank you.

Avery also sells pop rivet dimpling dies for hard to reach areas. Take a look at them and see if you get any useful ideas on what to make.

Jim

Crossbow,

If your hand rivet squeezer works like mine, you can turn the plunger shaft with your fingers to extend it so that the dimple dies come together the right amount without using washers to shim them.

If your hand rivet squeezer works like mine, you can turn the plunger shaft with your fingers to extend it so that the dimple dies come together the right amount without using washers to shim them.

Wow!

Thanks for the tip. I will check on that later this evening when I get to my shop.