Wardo

I have a lyc O-360A1A that I am looking to change it from vertical carbureted induction to horizontal fuel injection pefore installation with out purchacing a super expensive sump.

there are 90 deg+ elbow options out there for relatively cheap prices. the real question is, will this set up fit inside the cowling without the intake scoop on the lower cowling.

pictures would be great.

I have a lyc O-360A1A that I am looking to change it from vertical carbureted induction to horizontal fuel injection pefore installation with out purchacing a super expensive sump.

there are 90 deg+ elbow options out there for relatively cheap prices. the real question is, will this set up fit inside the cowling without the intake scoop on the lower cowling.

pictures would be great.

I'm not familiar with the RV-8, so I can't specifically respond, but my guess is that you will need to modify the cowl. It also depends on your plans for an air filter.

On my RV-10, the scoop and air filter opening weren't anywhere close once I put the FM-200 in a horitzontal position.

You may want to take a look at Rod Bower's site. You can get the elbow, filter, and cowl scoop mod from one source.

Also, if you are using a FM-200, you may need to send it back to AFP to change the controls. I don't recall which one, but one needed to reverse direction when moved from vertical to horizontal. Don @ AFP forewarned me about it and I only had to pay for shipping for them to make this change.

Update: I received a private email from Larry Vetterman stating his concern that on some RV models this may interfere with the standard exhaust mounting locations. There are alternatives, but you'll need to coordinate them with your exhaust system vendor. This isn't an issue on a RV-10.

Last edited:
Call Airflow Performance, they will sell you the correct size elbow for the sump and injector body that you have. Once the injector is pointing forward you can measure if you have sufficient space for Rod Bower's induction filter.

Just looked at the link Bob posted - the elbow looks similar to the AP one, but perhaps slightly better thoughout from the bolting on perspective. Highly likely that you would have to mod the cowling a little to fit everything in.

Pete

Last edited: