Adam Oke

Well Known Member
I have a quick question about the vertical stabilizer skin attach point for the fiberglass tip.

I just finished dimpling the entire skin, except for the attach point. Not sure if this is relevant, but I prime the interior structure. Do I drill to #40 and dimple the attach point now? Or do I wait to match drill with the tip....

To drill and dimple or not to drill and dimple....that is the question!

I would wait

That cap has a function if you decide to use it of covering most of the center element of the Nav antenna if you are going to have one.

Bob Axsom

Sorry, I should have clarified. I would not be drilling or installing the tip. Just wondering about the skin. Looking around on builder sites, it appears that everyone left those holes un touched. I'll build on. Thanks,

Last edited:
The tip does not come with holes drilled in it for attachment, you will need to drill through the prepunched holes in the skin into the fiberglass to locate the holes correctly in the tip.

Do not do anything with the holes in the aluminum skin that will attach to the tips (VS, HS, Elevator, or wing) yet, that step will come later when you are mating the fiberglass tips to them.

VS Tip Issue Leans over slightly

What is your opinion of this leaning tip. Should I redo it? See the photos at this link:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sglynn&project=607&category=0&log=144681&row=1

You can see the gaps between the straight edge and the VS plastic tip. This indicates the tip is leaning to one side. And the tip of the rudder reveals itself a little such that the VS tip doesn't cover it when the rudder is in line with the VS.

I'm posting here for 2 reasons. 1 because if others search for VS tip they'll find this issue here and hopefully watch out for this. And 2 to get your opinion on this. Are the tips suppose to fit better than this? Did anyone else have a similar problem? If so how did you fix it.

thanks for the help

My tip was way off also and I had to do a lot of work to get it looking straight. Here is about 25 hrs. of work.

DSC01706.jpg

Regarding the OPs question, dimple later. A good primer won't be bothered. If you want, you can always spot prime using a q-tip.