westwinds

Fellow builders, I would like to ask a question before i final drill for the front spar placement of the vertical stabilizer. I know that Vans tells us to set the VS perfectly straight with no offset. I am curious if setting it on straight ends up requiring a rudder trim tab for cruise conditions. I would like to know from pilots of flying planes if they have all had to add a rudder trim tab and what side it is on? Tony

No tab

No rudder tab on my'8.' Built to the plans, even the aileron trim is seldom needed. Flys straight in cruise.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

My Plans Differ

westwinds said:
Fellow builders, I would like to ask a question before i final drill for the front spar placement of the vertical stabilizer. I know that Vans tells us to set the VS perfectly straight with no offset. I am curious if setting it on straight ends up requiring a rudder trim tab for cruise conditions. I would like to know from pilots of flying planes if they have all had to add a rudder trim tab and what side it is on? Tony
My 7A plans call for a slight (1/4"?) offset to the leading edge of the VS by using a standard washer as a shim. This worked out well; the airplane has no rudder tab and I'm not using the aileron trim.

Thanks for the replys guys, I should have said my question related to the 8, but i mistakenly thought all the 2 seat RVs would have the same zero offset. Tony