Jeff A

Well Known Member
Will a 2000fpm VSI be sufficient for everyday flying?

I came across a brand new VSI for $50 last week and didn't want to pass it up. If it won't work, I'll just stick it in the classifieds and keep an eye out for something else.

An RV can climb more than 2000 feet a minute, but if you're doing that you'll probably know it from the loud noise and the steep angle...!

For what it's worth, I had a bunch of cheap imported instruments in my last RV, and the VSI failed almost immediately. Replaced it with a US-made one and it was fine. Your mileage may vary.

mcb

Jeff A said:
Will a 2000fpm VSI be sufficient for everyday flying?
It depends on why you want a VSI. If you want it for instrument flying, you are most interested in the range below 1000 fpm, as that is where you will be during instrument approaches. The lower the max range on the VSI, the more precise it will be in the range of interest. If you want one so you can see how fast you are climbing in a stabilized climb, 3000 fpm might be better. If you want one to see how fast you are climbing in a zoom climb, then look for a 6,000 fpm one, but even then you could easily peg it.

VSIs can be quite inaccurate, so don't pay too much attention to the absolute readings. I communicated with one guy who was convinced his re-engined Bonanza climbed at 5,000 fpm, until I got him to time a climb using altimeter and stop watch. It was really climbing at about 1,500 fpm.

Yeah it was cheap....

mburch said:
For what it's worth, I had a bunch of cheap imported instruments in my last RV, and the VSI failed almost immediately. Replaced it with a US-made one and it was fine. Your mileage may vary.

Since this airplane will begin its life as a VFR ship with a "steam-powered" panel, I think I'll just put it in there to fill the hole. If it fails or I'm not happy with the range or how it works, it'll get replaced. We'll see what kind of "mileage" we can get out of it. Thanks guys.