jthocker

Well Known Member
I just finished a Redline panel upgrade and want to give a big thumbs up to Vertical Power, and also to Dynon.
I have been a little skeptical about cost effectiveness of the VPX as opposed to traditional circuit breakers, but after doing an install of both a VPX and new Skyview I have changed my mind. The owner of the plane, Andy Findlay of "One Moment Racing" did all the planning for the VPX, I was tasked with installing.
The VPX came with a harness kit, with terminals pre crimped. It was literally, mount the box, push the wires into the associated connector hoods, connect the wire to devices or splice to device. Then, daisy chain 10 switches to ground and run the other pole of the switch to a D sub on the VPX. That completed the VPX install. The Skyview was installed and tested with a power supply previous to the VPX and was all networked up.
So, with the big power feed connected to the VPX we flipped the master switch on. Everything immediately came to life, and the VPX page on the Skyview showed how everything was working. Very nice integration between the Skyview and the Vertical Power VPX- Pro.

Excellent Jon! Thanks for the install report, and I can't wait to see what Andy will do with Race 30 this year!

:cool:

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Daisy chaining the grounds sounds like a potential single point failure. Just put a second ground at the other end of the chain for full redundancy.

GND----SW-----SW----SW----SW ... SW----SW----GND

Every connection in the chain is a potential failure point, this helps contain a fault. Of course, individual grounds is the best but may not be practical.

Even if the switch grounds fail, you can select each circuit on or off via the EFIS display.

My only other comment on the use of the VP-X, is that if it has to be fixed, you are grounded while it is removed and returned for repair. That is the BIG single point of failure.

VP-X Loaner

I had a problem with my VP-X (due to my error when installing it).

Vertical Power had a loaner next day air'ed to me. Pulled my EFIS Screen, unplugged the wires and the 4 mounting screws, and had the loaner in in under 30 min. 2 weeks later got mine back, and did the same process.

VP was easy and quick to work with, support top notch.

VP-X is definitely a product I would use again if I build again.

Bill

I agree. As a first time builder, I don't have experience with running heavy gauge wiring through mechanical circuit breakers and on to switches and their associated loads, but I sure like the flexibility of the VP-X.

I ended up swapping a couple switches around on the panel to make things more logical. The wire lengths for those switches were sized to their previous positions, so instead of physically moving the switches, I just reprogrammed their functions in the VP-X. Move complete!

VP-X Interface on a G3X Touch:
DSC01269.JPG