Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I've got a vertical oil filter adapter on my O-320. The theory is that it makes for drip-free filter changes by poking a hole in it and letting it drain into the sump. It's also nice to have lots of room between the engine and firewall.

Only problem is that it places the oil filter almost directly behind the breather outlet, so the standard routing for the breather tube that goes aft and straight down the firewall won't work. Looks like it will have to go left and down a bit, then down and inboard perhaps clamped to the engine mount.

Has anyone already figured out a simple solution and appropriate parts for this, or am I breaking new ground here?

Paul

Use a rubber hose

Hi Paul,

I had the same issue. I bought a rubber hose at napa that solved the problem. I'll post photos when I am done hanging the prop today. Darwin Barrie helped me with this same issue a few months ago.

Yes, please post pictures. I messed with it a bit, but still haven't figured out the best route. Using the straight part of the NAPA hose I can sort of make it work, but I'll have to bend the Al tube as well to get the outlet over the exhaust.

Dave

IMG_0784.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures, Pete. Was this marked as a radiator hose, or something else? Did it come with a bend in it, or just straight?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Eastham said:
Thanks for posting the pictures, Pete. Was this marked as a radiator hose, or something else? Did it come with a bend in it, or just straight?

Hi Paul,

I too have a vertical (well, 45 deg from vertical) oil filter. I used fuel/oil hose from AS&S to do what Pete did (9/16", 5/8", can't remember). However, I had extra - if you want to try it out, feel free to pick it up from my office.

radiator hose

Paul,

It is a radiator hose - reinforced rubber - it did have a pre-formed bend. I don't have a part number or application. I picked it off a rack.

Does radiator hose react to engine oil??
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

Good Question

It is the same kind of hose vans puts in the FF kit. Builders here report you will want to watch it for "gumminess" and change every few years.

mahlon_r said:
Does radiator hose react to engine oil??
In my automotive experience, radiator hose will soften and expand slightly with prolonged exposure to engine oil. By "prolonged", I'm talking about several years.
As petehowell said, keep an eye on it, and change it every couple-three years. It's cheap enough...