AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
I flew my plane for around 1000 hours with this type of vernier throttle:

Throttle%20close%20up.jpg

It started getting sticky, so I replaced it last year with the friction lock version of the same general design. (I would have had to special order the friction lock one through Aircraft Spruce, as the manufacturer ACS no longer sells direct. Of course, price much higher now that way... Van's stock vernier wasn't correct length, or maybe they didn't have this type, don't recall.)

In any case, I've flown now for about 100 hours or so with the friction lock, and wish I had gone again with the vernier, for several reasons. My general method of use for the friction lock throttle is to try to get the friction set "about right", so that I can still make small adjustments by wiggling it back and forth as I push or pull it. On takeoff, I'll firewall it and then tighten it a bit more than this. As I remove power, I have to do two or perhaps three actions to pull off power - loosen friction, pull throttle, perhaps re-snug friction. What I have found is that it was much simpler and quicker to make small adjustments (an inch or two of MAP) with the vernier, and I didn't have to look at the engine gauge. Just a couple quick twists.

I will probably bite the bullet and order the replacement vernier.

With regards to formation, many if not all groups do not allow vernier throttles. I have no issue with this, but I made a clip that holds the button in for formation flights with the local guys. But, I found that it is trivial to hold the knob in a way that the heel of my hand holds the button in, while my forefinger braces against the panel. With my elbow on the armrest, this is a fairly comfortable situation, at least for up to 30 minutes that I've done it. In fact, the armrest is the most important part in my opinion. When I've sat in various left hand throttle RV's, it seemed strange that there wasn't some sort of arm rest in a comfortable "hand on throttle" position. Perhaps many have put these in.

I just wanted to post my thoughts for those who might be in the decision process. As always, to each their own!

IF you ever want to fly formation, you DO NOT want the vernier throttle. NO ONE will fly with you if you have the vernier throttle.

After 2,300 hobbs hours on my friction lock throttle, I would never install a vernier throttle. Have flown one RV with one and do NOT like it. Typically flying single ship with a constant speed prop, I push the throttle forward on takeoff and do not pull it back till ready to land. I do my power reduction with the prop when I reach my cruise altitude.