Vern

Well Known Member
Bad idea for any RV planning acro or formation, i.m.h.o.

What do you think?

Actually the vernier throttle in the RV-12 is great, but it is a special design made by McFarlain that has vernier action but still smoothly and easily moves if pushed or pulled in the conventional manner.

I fully agree that a traditional vernier in the throttle position is a bad idea in any airplane.

I've always heard that it's a formation no-no, but I'm not formation qualified. I've also heard that some people have vernier throttles but I've honestly never seen an aircraft with one and don't understand exactly what benefit they provide. So how prevalent are they and who has one?

I've got one in the 172, it's wonderful for taxiing but honestly I almost never use it in flight. I've installed it in my 9A, not flying yet.

From what I've seen flying the 172 with other people, the only downside to it is when someone unfamiliar tries to fly with it and ham-hands the throttle when they need to push the button to move it in the conventional manner. As PIC it took me about 3 minutes to get used to it the first time and now I don't even think about it.

Last edited:
Vernier throttle

Only my opinion for what's it's worth as a hi-time pilot. By all means install whatever makes you happy. Regularly fly a 6A with a vernier throttle and it works well except on short final. I grip the knob from the back to hold the lock button in so power changes can be made quicker than screwing the throttle in or out. My 9 will have vernier mixture and prop controls, but no vernier throttle for me.

Don Broussard

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

My 7A has one. The benefit is small adjustments in cruise and taxiing. Other than that it is awkward for quick control changes. I like the idea of McFarlane's combination throttle control. I have not tried one yet but I want to research them further for use in the 7A. I can understand not wanting one when formation flying.

I guess to each his own. Personally I have had vernier throttles on most all my airplanes and love them.

IIRC, I checked into attending one of the FFI training weekends, and I believe that they said aircraft with vernier throttles were not allowed.

I could be wrong, but I fly a lot of formation and I can't imagine doing it as easy with a vernier throttle....

Bad idea for any RV planning acro or formation, i.m.h.o.

What do you think?

I don't fly formation, but I love my vernier controls. Have them on all 3 controls. Most aircraft I've flown have them too. Love being able to easily make fine tuned inputs. Very rarely do I ever even use the button for large inputs.

I cut my teeth on vernier throttles, and added one to my extremely squirrelly, aerobatic Hiperbipe. Once you master "the claw" technique they are not unsafe for formation, aerobatic, or pattern work. They are also not optimum for this kind of flying, but large or small throttle movements are not a problem. They really shine for cross country flight however. They stay set where you want them, and its very easy to adjust on the descent to maintain constant manifold pressure.

But as previously posted, to each their own. Each method has strengths and weaknesses and some are more mission specific than others, but personally, I'll fly levers, knobs or verniers without a second thought.

I couldn't agree with you more Vern, that's why I put a throttle quadrant in my -9. It is so easy to fly with and it makes easy work out of formation flying.

Now could someone pass the popcorn?