FORANE

Well Known Member
I read a recent thread about using a vernier throttle during formation flying and thought I would share an experience I had with my vernier throttle.

A few years back, I flew from 0a9 (elizabethton, tn) to x35 (dunnellon, fl). It was ifr a good portion of the way. I refueled in dunnellon, refiled and took off ifr to fmy (page field in fort myers , fl). Fort myers approach advised me to expect the ils 5 approach. then about 20 miles out they advised they didn't think I could get in on the ils due to bad weather on that side of the field (it was solid imc the whole trip). Approach said they would vector me around and "try to get me in on a visual for runway 23"; if I missed, they would vector me around for the ils. Then about 10 miles out they advised me to do a gps 23 approach. I did well to keep up with the last minute changes. As I got to mda on the gps approcah, I brought in a little throttle to arrest the descent and noticed the throttle seemed a little strange as if underpowered for the force I applied to the throttle. I was still unable to see the field at 1.5 miles out at mda. I broke through a cloud and saw the field, but could not make a straight in landing. I was about 400 agl, black clouds all the way to the ground on the far end of the runway and a solid ceiling 50 feet above me. Not wanting to go missed, I requested a contact approach. At this time I sensed spomething was wrong with the power. Contact approach was approved. I then noticed I had a stuck throttle. I could not advance or pull back the throttle at all. I had enough power to barely maintain altitude, but not climb. I advised tower. I requested to continue circling under the cloud deck where I could see the field as I attempted to sort out the problem. Tower wanted me to climb away from the field into imc - I refused. I fiddled with the throttle - twisting the throttle to attempt to get more or less power and managed to get partial control of the throttle. I advised tower as such and requested landing. I made a nice landing under idle power and upon touchdown the white plastic end of the throttle fell off in my hand.
I was advised by a local mecanic on field that the throttle I have is a vernier throttle and over time will vibrate lose. There is a screw in the center of the center white push botton on the throttle. When the screw is removed, there is a nut (under the push button) which when loose due to vibration over time can preclude the push button from being able to be depressed thus causing a locked throttle situation. I was unaware of this. The local mechanic advised me that many a&p's are unaware of this too, and that this needs to be tightened at each annual.

So if you have a vernier style locking throttle, especially if you have noticed it getting sticky, you should take it apart for inspection.

Must have something to do with the brand of throttle.

My vernier throttle is black, has a silver button, no such screw, and has worked flawlessly for almost 19 years.

I know the style you are talking about. The Bonanza I used to fly had that type.