Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I seem to remember a discussion about cracks in the rubber seals on vernier cables, but the search tool isn't doing me any favors today.

Does anyone know where to buy replacement seals? Or how to repair them or keep them from cracking in the first place?

Dont have the info any more, but at one point I called ACS and they gave me the contact info for their cable supplier - in Arizona somewhere I think, but cant recall the name. They apparently also supplied cables to Vans. They were nice enough, and sent me some replacement seals at no charge, but the replacements have since degraded and/or fallen off just like the originals. I have just let them be, without any apparent negative impacts so far. Would seem that a higher quality rubber is needed

erich

When you get the new boots take some DC#4 (Dow-Corning silicon used when installing new oil filter) and work it into the boots. Doesn't take very much. This should help prolong the life of the boots.
As an aside, I have been using this stuff on all of the rubber door/hood gaskets on my new cars and it seems to keep them from drying out in our Southern California weather.