frankh

Well Known Member
Anyone know off hand the size of the Vernatherm nut across the flats?

I changed to the straight back style of oil filter adaptor from the 45 up adaptor and my oil temps jumped 20F...Yes its been getting a little warmer out, but not 20F warmer.

So I thought I'd pull the vernatherm but I'm going to have to buy a wrench on the way to the hangar.

Anyone know the size?

Thanks

Frank

1-1/4"

I didn't remember the size but mine was real handy to measure.

Mark

Last edited:
Frank I have a whole selection of wrenches and sockets. I'm out in the shops on Wake Robin on your way out to the airport. I'm half way down on the right and if my Miata or Red truck is there I'm there. Stop in next time you need something before you go out and buy.

Oh yes of course

Thanks Jim...I still have your number so I'll remember to give you a call.

I actually found a broken 1.25" rachet wrench that I can cut an maybe weld up to make the perfect tool ( a standard socket may need a lot of grinding to make it fit) so this might be the best thing to spend 20 minutes making.

Talk soon...and glad yer engine tested out good!

Frank

A good day!

WEll my Vernatherm tested out good...Fully open by 180F.

I had previaously added a baffle to choke off about 50% of the oil cooler cus I was trying to direct more air over a hot #4 cylinder.

So today I removed the baffle, not only did the oil temps drop to 180F (70F OAT) but the #4 cyl was still within 10F of the other at LOP cruise.

I climbed to 3000ft at full power and the #4 cylinder did not exceed 375F.

Looks like all is well and I now have a special low clearance tool to remove the vernatherm if ever I need to.

Cheers

Frank 7a