Jimd

Well Known Member
I removed my vernatherm to check it and I think I garfed up the washer in the process. When I put it backe together and did a test run it was leaking pretty bad and I tightened it a bit and it was still leaking.

So, I have a new washer, I will check the seat to make sure I didn't put a nick on that. I also bought a combination wrench to use instead of the crescent wrench. (I think I garfed the washer with the slip joint pliers since that was all I had at the time of removal).

Now my questions, how tight? The washer looks like it is made of aluminum. Is it supposed to crush a bit during install? It the washer a one time use like the copper washer under the temp sender? Any sealant on this application? I would guess NO sealant here.

I am running a Mattituck O-360 with the 90 degree adapter.

Thanks,

Jim

The torque for the vernatherm (per Lyc manual) is surprisingly high at 300 inch-pounds.

Thanks,

I guess I will get the torque wrench out and find a bolt on the hanger so I can get a feel for the force required and try to duplicate it on the combination wrench I plan to use on the vernitherm.

Jim

Yes, that aluminum washer is a crush washer. They are used in place of copper when I higher torque is required or desired or when a close thickness tolerance is required.

It is a one use washer and should not be re-used.

Larry