kcameron

Well Known Member
I've done a quick search and see that some builders have installed naca vents for cabin ventilation below the cowl cheeks. I'm considering that for my RV-4 but am slightly concerned about the ducting encroaching on pilot legroom.

I've been thinking about doing it this way:
1) damming the front of the cheek extension a little bit aft of the firewall
2) cutting a naca (or maybe a plain round or rectangular) shaped hole on the underside of the extension
3) cutting a round hole into the cabin
4) installing an eyeball vent right there (no ducting). The pilot would reach under the panel to adjust the vent.

Anyone else done something like this?

Thanks,

Kevin,
I have a simple vent installed behind the cowl cheek on my RV3. It is the earlier smaller version ( i inch diameter) of what Van's sells now. CA LV-3 VENTILATOR ( Vans catalog says it is a 1 3/8 inch opening but it is actually 1 7/8). The vent blows air like mad, is easy to install, easy to operate/adjust.

I am using them again on my current Harmon Rocket project.

Simple is good in my book.

cowl vent

[QUO I'm considering that for my RV-4 but am slightly concerned about the ducting encroaching on pilot legroom.,[/QUOTE]

I have done this and it is not an issue.....the vent is high enough that it is out of the way (if you put it under the standard panel that is).

I have a simple vent installed behind the cowl cheek on my RV3

Thanks Peter. To be clear: when you say that your vent is "behind the cowl cheek", you mean within the extension on the fuselage. Right? Do you have pictures by any chance?

I'll second what Marc said a couple of posts ago. I have a vent connected to a eyeball vent in the panel that puts out LOTS of air. The intake vent is located under the cowl extension and the scat tube connecting the two does not interfere with my leg at all

Joe Hine
Cdn RV4 as well
Fredericton, N.B.