RV8R999

Well Known Member
Was debating myself for a long time on how to manage the vent and cabin heat while preserving my goal of minimizing the number of swtiches, breakers, controls...

I used a y-tube connected directly to the fuse vent and to a 2" flange at the firewall for heat. I fabricated a butterfly valve and placed in inside the y-tube closest to the cool air vent and used a single push-pull control to open and close this butterfly valve while simultaneously opening/closing the heat valve at the firewall. Knowing the butterfly valve turns 90deg from full open to full closed and that the heat valve tab moved 1" linearly from full open to full closed and using a little trig was able to work out the ratios the butterfly control arm to give me 2.75" of control cable throw from full open to closed. As the control is pushed full fwd the butterfly valve is completely open allowing full cooling air to the eyeball vent at the panel while fully closing off the cabin heat valve. As the control is pulled aft the cool air vent closes as the heat vent opens. No idea how well it will work but thought it was a "COOL" concept :)

2zsspaw.jpg

In the RV9a I would need a tee coming off the firewall valve to get the heat to both sides of the fuselage. Did you wield your own Y-tube? It looks like a great idea. Thanks for the post.

Jim