pierre smith

Well Known Member
I have a new Gemini PFD in my -10 and don't quite understand the velocity vector function/s. Will there still be an up or down pitch indication on the unit? Please clarify this system for me.

ps I can't fly yet because of my right shoulder inop after joint replacement surgeries (three times:eek:)

Thanks,

V Vector

Pierre: Usually it indicates where the mass of the airplane is going irrespective of where the nose is pointed. Example: if you are in a slow flight descent the nose might be above the horizon and the Velocity Vector will be below. If you are flying a ILS glide slope with the standard 3 deg path the Velocity Vector will hang out around 3 deg below the horizon line during the approach because that is the path or trajectory the airplane traveling on. My day job is Gulfstream pilot, Velocity Vector shows up on PFD and Heads up Display. On landing a couple miles out its handy to put and keep the Velocity Vector on the runway where you want to touch down because that's where the plane is going. Climbing out in the dark? If the Velocity Vector is pointed above the dirt your plane will travel a path above the dirt.
Hope your recovery goes well and you are back in the saddle soon?

Don Broussard
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Pierre,

The Gemini PFD uses a hybrid method for pitch attitude.

In the sort term it uses gyro info and then transitions to vertical speed over time.

If you fly nose high at the same altitude for extended periods, the display will slowly return to indicating a neutral pitch.