N523RV

Well Known Member
I'm curious to hear from anyone who has installed a vertical card compass in an RV panel. My understanding is that they need to be mounted in a vertical panel +/- 4 degress of tilt. I got a response from a vendor who said "people are doing it" but that doesn't meet it works or works right. Anyone out there have a VC Compass mounted in the panel and noticed any issues??

Don't

Matt,
We had ours in the panel just to have one when the DAR arrived. It spun like crazy and they caution you not to mount it there so we took it out and bought the correct bracket from Spruce and mounted it to the rollbar brace. Works great.

Ditto. I had a Precision vertical card compass in my instrument panel and the thing was drastically affected by fields. I couldn't figure out what was putting out the field(s). The compass is long gone. My Dynon EFIS-D10's remote EDC-D10 is rock solid.

I have one (expensive Precision) in my 7A and it seems to work pretty well. I mounted it over in the upper right side of the panel away from Ferromagnetic stuff. I haven't tested it on a compass rose yet, but it seems to be fairly well calibrated. Doesn't do any wierd things and agrees with courses when checked.

Roberta

panelin1mo9.jpg

Vertical Card compasses - very sensative

I've mentioned this a few times. On the certified side, there are companies that refuse to deal with the vertical Card compasses. See the following

http://www.avionicswest.com/articles.htm

It just seems they are way too sensative to be mounted in the panel. As a fall back SIRS makes some killer compasses, including a panel mountable version.

YMMV,

Last edited: