n468ac

Well Known Member
At the end of the month I'm making a trip to southern va to ma. My route takes me directly over New York City. How does the controllers like ga flying around 11500 to 13500 though their airspace? Any tips from the east coast guys. Still in the planning stages. Thanks

IIRC their class B goes only to 7,000 so they don't have much say on where you go if you fly higher than that.. Some really neat sights from above in that area..

I fly over it at 7500 or through it at 6500. ATC is really cooperative and most times will just tell you no altitude changes. That's obviously because all of the traffic landing and departing the big 3 airports. When you fly on the west side of the B you will incur a bunch of inbound EWR traffic between 6000 and 8000 so be careful on that side.

If you haven't done it, fly through the corridor! It's easy and fun, but read up on it good.

If you are flying up through NJ/ACY give a shout to TKATC....although when I do that he is never working :D

I have only flown in that area one but I used flight following. That allows you to play nice with ATC and minimize any impacts to commercial traffic.

I was east of NYC as opposed to overhead.

Unless you are in Class B, Class C or similar airspace, my view is that you own that just as much as anyone else.

Last edited:
I tend to route to SAX KVAY to spit New York and Philidphia even when up high. I keep a watchful eye as there can be a lot of commuter airline traffic there some times.

Space here is saturated on regular days. Under Bravos, within and above. Legally you can blast over clustered Bravos VFR not talking to anybody. If you don't want to talk it's fine I would recommend at least monitoring sector frequency and looking outside as much as you can. Review Big Boys standard departures/arrival procedures and stay out of their way. I hope you will enjoy being here. Let us know when you are coming.

I go through NY a lot.

I live on Long Island, so if I'm going anywhere west or south I have to go through the bravo. As was stated you can go over, but I feel more comfortable talking to them. I climb to 6500 when west bound and give them a call. I allways say if you sound like you know what you are doing they have no problem with you. If you sound like you don't know what you are doing they will tell you to stay clear of the bravo. They like VORs. I tell them I'm west to where ever and would like to head direct Kennedy, direct solberg. If I'm heading south it's direct Kennedy, direct colt's neck. They always let me through. It's really kind of fun and I like being in touch with them and knowing what's around me.they will tell me about all traffic of course. After saying my n number, 966RV, a 747 driver asked if 6RV was an RV6, I told him yes. From then on ATC called me RV.

All sound advice given above. Sounds like you plan to go over the top weather permitting. If so, that will be fine. I suggest picking up flight following with Washington Center shortly after departing. They will hand you off to NY. At those altitudes you will be handled by center controllers and not the actual "Bravo" controllers. (for simplicity let's say above 10000'). If you find yourself lower, then you may actually be working with the bravo controllers. JFK is an excellent waypoint to use either north or southbound because you will be flying DIRECTLY over the airport and will not likely interfere with the arrival and departure corridors.

As Richie stated above, sounding good on the radio will increase your odds of approval through the bravo. (and avoid any type of Russian accent!). "NY, RV123, 10 south of COL requesting advisories northbound via COL, JFK, BOS at 5500". That's about as fancy as I woul get....I may even make it simpler if he sounds busy.

It's not really that big a deal, have fun, enjoy it, and make sure you hear the magic word "cleared" through the bravo.

Well, IF he's starting in Southern VA then he may as well get following started down there. And that would be Wash Center. Looks like he has a SPOT for tracking but if he gets following with Wash he will more than likely be on flight aware the entire trip as well. Good for the family!

If you get passed to Philadelphia, don't be at all surprised to get dumped by them after. It's one of the reasons I don't use FF as much when traveling from the Norfolk VA area up to Maine. I got tired of dealing with Philadelphia.

Not all controllers are as nice and accommodating at TKATC and his colleagues ;)

Duh

Well, IF he's starting in Southern VA then he may as well get following started down there. And that would be Wash Center. Looks like he has a SPOT for tracking but if he gets following with Wash he will more than likely be on flight aware the entire trip as well. Good for the family!

Ahh, OK - misread - thought he was starting from the NY side. Makes sense now :eek:

Philly

If you get passed to Philadelphia, don't be at all surprised to get dumped by them after. It's one of the reasons I don't use FF as much when traveling from the Norfolk VA area up to Maine. I got tired of dealing with Philadelphia.

Not all controllers are as nice and accommodating at TKATC and his colleagues ;)

Never had a problem with Philadelphia controllers. On occasion they told me they were too busy and to try again later... which I did and then received FF. Though I must admit, they are not the friendliest.

Thanks everyone ... Sounds like its no different than flying around Chicago class b.

I have to say everywhere I've flown, I always do flight following and the controllers have always been most helpful.

:)