mculik5

I'm New Here
I'm interested in learning more about the various operational restrictions related to aircraft equipment (meaning "your plane must have this equipment or you can do this"). I'm not a pilot or builder, though I hope to be both some day. I'm just very interested in aircraft systems and engineering, and am trying to learn more.

Also, my intention is not for this thread to spawn debate about what is/isn't prudent operation, does/doesn't require a pilot endorsement, or is/isn't overkill equipment for an RV. Just trying to get a general list together.

Here' are the restrictions I'm aware of so far:

- VFR minimum equipment
- Night minimum equipment
- IFR minimum equipment
- Complex aircraft requirements (MAP gauge, temp gauge, gear indicator if applicable)
- Commercial flight requirements (landing light and over water gear if flying over water)
- General ELT requirement

- Various Mode C transponder requirements like Mode C veil, 10K feet, through the ADIZ, etc.
- Mode C transponder and VOR/TACAN receiver or suitable RNAV system for Class B airspace
- Mode S transponder to fly in Europe

- Supplmental oyxgen required to fly above certain altitudes

- FIKI certification to fly in known icing conditions

- Dual TSO 145/146 GPS units to fly LPV approaches to minimums (might also require a TSO 190 antenna)
- WAAS GPS and ADS-B OUT datalink to comply with the 2020 requirement
- RNP requirements (I don't fully understand these)

- RVSM requirements (obviously not applicable to RVs)

What else am I missing? Thanks.

There's one way to *really* learn about all of this...

Go out there and get that pilot's license!

What's stopping you? Go for it!

Hangout at the airport. There is probably an old FAR-AIM in the lobby they'll give away. Library books. Borrow someone's Private Pilot or Commercial or Instrument tapes or DVDS. Those are much better ways to learn these kinds of basic things than a "Teach me" post on a forum. Study them, then ask a clarification question here - AFTER using SEARCH!

Most pilots have these kinds of things in their personal library and will lend them.

Dual TSO 145/146 GPS units to fly LPV approaches to minimums (might also require a TSO 190 antenna)

I'm fairly sure you don't need dual GPS units to fly an LPV approach... a single 430W (among others) will do the trick.

I'm fairly sure you don't need dual GPS units to fly an LPV approach... a single 430W (among others) will do the trick.

Correct. A single TSO 145/146 WAAS GPS unit is all that's required for LPV approaches for part 91 ops.

RNP and RSVM don't apply to RV's -- those get into performance, naviagtion, and certification criteria that are generally outside the realm of piston driven, E-AB type aircraft.

As far as I can tell, FIKI is a gray area for E-AB certificated aircraft. IOW, if you were to equip your E-AB with anti-ice systems and run some tests, the FAA isn't going to come out and slap a "FIKI approved" sticker on it an call it good.

One thing I noted is you captured a wide range of requirements on your list, not all of which apply depending on whether the aircraft in question has a standard certification or is E-AB, has one seat or many, or is operated under part 91 or part 121/135.