cjensen

Well Known Member
It's only 264 days away, and planning has already begun for the 2012 show. I have been asked to be the point man at EAA for most of the RV activities for next summer, and I'm inviting you all to help me out along the way.

The Tribute to Dick VanGrunsven will kickoff on Monday, July 23rd, and the display we have in mind would include the best examples of each type, as well as...

The first ones...

The rare ones...

The special ones...

The record breaker's...

EAA owns the prototype RV-3 and the prototype RV-4...we all know about the plans for the RV-1. What about the others? I know a few of them are gone, but does someone know the fate of each prototype?

I have a good lead on a very nice Stits Playboy that will be a part of the display.

We are talking with Team RV and Falcon Flight.

A panel discussion at Theater in the Woods is in the works.

Piece of Grass??? Up to you all...

I am going to work on awards for various categories.

I don't want to give it all away just yet, so let me hear your ideas, stories, special RV interests!

:cool:

Last edited:
This will be fun!

This is a great opportunity to ferret out info on the history of the Van's lines. I'm particularly interested in the earliest -6s. Mikey is serial number "4" and fledged in April 1990. Are there any older, still flying -6s?

This is a great opportunity to ferret out info on the history of the Van's lines. I'm particularly interested in the earliest -6s. Mikey is serial number "4" and fledged in April 1990. Are there any older, still flying -6s?

Yes, Jim Baldwin has #2. I don't think Jim participates on VAF, but many of his friends in central Ohio do.

bob

EAA owns the prototype RV-3 and the prototype RV-4...we all know about the plans for the RV-1. What about the others?

The original RV-5, 6, and 8 prototypes are in non-flyable storage at Van's home.
The original RV-6A prototype is still earning its keep doing tri-gear transition training.
The original RV-7 prototype did a gender change quite a few years ago and works daily as the company RV-7A demonstrator.
The original RV-8A prototype still works as a company demonstrator.
The original RV-9A prototype also still works as a company demonstrator.
The RV-9 prototype is in non-flyable storage.
The original RV-10 prototype works daily as a company demonstrator.
The RV-11 prototype has not yet flown (as far as I know).
The original RV-12 prototype was de-registered and parted out (of no value because of it being significantly different from the final kit version).

Last edited:
...The original RV-7 prototype did a gender change quite a few years ago and works dayly as the company RV-7A demonstrator ...

Now you went and did it. We've worked so hard to eliminate the term "Lady Eight" for the RV-8A, and you go and refer to the transgenderization of a -7.

When will the madness end? :D;)

Airventure 2012

I knew there was going to be a good reason for me to make the trip to Airventure in 2012. Now I have it. Thanks, Chad for letting us know about it so we can begin making plans.

With you involved, it should be a great tribute to Van.

Aaah! "Lady 8?" Good thing Louise and I are tailwheel pilots! :D

What ever happened to EAA's Young Eagles RV-6A's?

Tony Bingelis's RV-3, N74TX, was just sold-- I wonder if the new owner will bring it to the show?

Maybe some of the Pilots & Paws RV flyers can have a little display to show how RV's contribute to a better society. And SmokeyRay's missionary RV-X.

I hope to add some restored turquoise to the mix... ;)

What ever happened to EAA's Young Eagles RV-6A's?

One of them is in long-term storage (off-site I believe), and the other is just about to be released to the EAA flying club that is being formed. I get to fly an RV regularly again! :cool:

Any new ideas over the last couple of months?

Any of the "round the worlders" going to be there?
What about any of them that have set world records? I think there was a 7A that set a speed over distance record from south africa to somewhere in Europe last year. Would be neat to have world record holders at the OSH.

Maybe we could get EAA to change the name to RVenture for one year? ;)

Picture a thousand pilots wandering around the "Big Show" on Monday (the day that Van will be honored) with a T-shirt emphasizing the "R" and with the "AI" crossed out.....just for that one day.....got any designers around here?

Chad - you probably shouldn't see that idea. Plausible Deniability you know....:p

Last edited:
About 5 years ago, a few bootleg T-shirts with the old style EAA logo began making an appearance, for sale in a few non-EAA places in the campgrounds. It took EAA a couple of years to catch on, but now they have their own line of retro stuff that is selling like hotcakes. Maybe they can learn from history and get out in front of this one?

RVenture

Well, in 2009 we had a 37-ship formation overhead that set a Guinness World Record for the largest civil close formation. Park them all on the Conoco Phillips Square, along with the extra ones that will do the 40-ship formation in 2012.